What company made this canoe?

I am unsure what company made this wood and canvas canoe. Any ideas?

• Maker

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Model

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jana

Curious about Wooden Canoes
389606F8-4A90-482D-A814-9727208D63D1.jpeg

It would be really helpful to see a few more pictures of this boat...of the decks, thwart, seats, ribs, rails etc. How old is it? Share what you know and we'll tell you what it is.

7AABAAC9-4E8F-47B2-90EA-68EA16C64EE3.jpeg 9E5B9AD0-FA97-48EB-B71B-76129D5092BD.jpeg 0D8614B2-A883-4235-AF0F-F8E301E51527.jpeg 0F3C2B76-7D60-4BC1-8BBD-816E331A8B29.jpeg 19D39B7D-7D1C-44A9-9AFD-173AD8B7366E.jpeg Not sure of exact age but am thinking the 1920’s/1930’s. I could be off a bit on the age. About 16 feet long.

Last edited:
Jana,
Measure the extreme overall length, width at the widest point and depth in the center. A side view photo that shows the stem profile would be helpful also. Look on the stem inside the canoe, at both ends, directly below the decks (first photo in post #3 above) to see if there are any numbers or a name stamped there. It may be difficult to read. Where is the canoe located? Most canoes never traveled far from where they were first sold and the location can be a clue to the manufacturer.
Thanks for posting. These mystery canoes are always interesting.

Jim

This canoe is in Eastport, Maine. I checked in the places that you mentioned for any serial numbers or makers marks and could find none. I will measure it later today and post the measurements. The seats appear to be covered in the same canvas as the exterior. It is beautifully made!

The list at http://wcha.org/catalogs/maine-list.htm includes 26 builders from Washington County around Eastport although many of them are birch bark canoe builders. It may not be easy to determine who built your canoe. Please let us know if you ever figure it out. Thanks,

Benson

Eastport helps to explain the salt blooms.
The screws that are through the decks, is that on both decks and what purpose do they serve? I've never seen anything like that before. It appears to be well made, noting the nice finish on the stems and a few other details. This one might be challenge.

I will check tomorrow and measure the canoe as well. Couldn’t get to it today!

The tacks do not appear to be copper. Several local people have suggested that it may be a “Grand Lake” canoe.

I have reached out to Dale Tobey as was suggested (in an attempt to learn more about my Grand Laker), but have not had a reply. I might try one more time in a week or two.

I think he is probably busy bear hunting. This is his busy season :).

Back