Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

What caused the exterior finish to crack ?

Discussion in 'Wood and Canvas' started by davelanthier, May 4, 2005.

1. davelanthier

davelanthier Wooden Canoes are in the Blood

In the last 3 days , 3 w/c canoes , all different owners , all ok before winter , all wintered without heat , all located in Jasper [ Alberta , Canada ]. All the canoes have 2 to 6 year old canvas which was installed by different shops . The cracking and checking extends into the filler . Winter temp. went down to -30 C [ about 19 F ] but this is not unusual . Any ideas what caused this and can it be repaired ?

2. dboles

dboles LOVES Wooden Canoes

Sorry to say cant offer any ideas but it seems you have cornered the Canoe market in Jasper.Maybe its time to offer franchises (be nice if I remembered how to spell)

3. OP
    OP
    davelanthier

fOraM splchek neded

Well I now know that dboles is no help [ which is unusual] but if anyone has a cause or remedy for these folks it would be much appreciated .

4. MikeCav

MikeCav Restorer/Videographer

Since they were all done by different shops, is it possible that:

a) They all bought filler from the same source and the filler is bad; or

b) They all make their own filler, but purchased an ingredient for the filler from the same source and that ingredient was flawed?

Since these boats were canvassed/filled so long ago, and we boat folk are such meticulious record keepers ;) - it will be difficult to track this down.

From what I understand from other and previous posts, there is no quick fix to cracked filler - recanvassing is about the best option.

5. Maybe they had an unusual weather occurence in Jasper this winter - a rapid and extreme shift of relative humidity or something like that. Just a thought...

Martin

6. mark wismer

mark wismer WCHA Member

Problem is the filler may continue to flake off. I had sections of paint that lifted down to th canvas weave. I filled them w/ acrylic spot & glazing compound a 3m product from auto body supply stores. It's designed to be applied over bondo and sanded smoothe & thin. It's lighter than bondo and has held tight for 5 years now.

These spots were tiny cracks that had been painted over several times. A few weeks in the warm sun lifted them all & I stored it in that condition for 15 years...they dated back to the summer camp that was the original owner. I applied the compound w/ plastic paddles like bondo and sanded 90% of it off. The paint adhered well and my bottom scratches alternate from grey filler to the pale blue/green compound. A light wet sanding was all I needed to recoat the bottom...

Sorry I can't determine the cause of your cracks. Looks like it's time to stock up on canvas & filler...

7. OP
    OP
    davelanthier

follow up

Jasper has a dry climate so it probably wasn't moisture caused . It is possible they might of had a quick change in temperature . On one of the canoes the outwale scarfing also separated .

8. bob goeckel

bob goeckel Wooden Canoe Maniac

is it possible that the canoes were somewhat wet during an initial freeze and the expansion of ice crystals cracked the filler and the outwale scarf? i can see where moisture between the planking and canvas could be hidden and you not aware of it.

9. OP
    OP
    davelanthier

Bob ,I think you have the answer . If the canvas was still damp on the inside from use and then became frozen it seems reasonable that the filler /paint would crack . With the power of ice it wouldn't take much .

10. bob goeckel

bob goeckel Wooden Canoe Maniac

do i win anything? i won a donut last week in the "roll up the rim to win contest" at tims. how can you beat that? :rolleyes:

11. OP
    OP
    davelanthier

Problem solved ????

I have now just repaired 2 canoes where the filler and paint had cracked over winter due to freezing . The damaged areas were carefully power sanded with 100 grit then blown clean of dust . These areas were then well coated with West System G2 epoxy resin and allowed to set over night . The damaged areas were again power sanded with 100 grit , cleaned and a 2nd. coat of epoxy was applied . The entire canoe hull then received a final sanding and painting . I've been using one of the canoes , no problems and looks great . Best of all re-canvasing wasn't required .

12. Ron Carter

Ron Carter WCHA # 7925

Sanded to what depth relative to the canvas?

I like the sound of your description but I'm having trouble visualizing how deep you sanded before the first coat of epoxy.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2005
  13. OP
    OP
    davelanthier

Hi Ron - I hope this makes sense . The paint and a small amount of filler [ not to the canvas ] were 1st. sanded . Keep in mind that the cracks were raised compared to the undamaged areas . The sanding was for good epoxy adhesion and cosmetics . The 1st. coat of epoxy soaked into and filled the cracks . The 2nd. coat of epoxy filled any final discrepancies to give a flat finish after it was sanded .

14. Ron Carter

Ron Carter WCHA # 7925

Sanding

Understand now. Thanks for the quick reply.