Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

WCHA webmaster wanted

Discussion in 'General WCHA Business' started by Michael Grace, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Michael Grace

Michael Grace Lifetime Member

The WCHA is looking for a dedicated WCHA member and wooden canoe enthusiast to serve as webmaster for this site. Experience with Drupal is preferred but not required. The new webmaster will not only monitor and manage the current website but will also have the opportunity to envision and effect important improvements in the WCHA's web presence. Further details can be had by contacting the current webmaster, Benson Gray, or you may contact me (Michael Grace) or the WCHA's Executive Director, Annie Burke.

Contact information can be had at:
    http://wcha.org/about-wcha

or you can use:
    http://wcha.org/contact

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  2. OP
    OP
    Michael Grace

Michael Grace Lifetime Member

There is still time to express your interest in the position, so please make contact ASAP if you or someone you know would be a good fit to support the WCHA by daily oversight of the website. Thanks!

3. MGC

MGC Paddlephile

Is there a plan to walk away from Drupal if that is the current platform. It seems that at least modest Drupal or PHP experience should be a basic requirement. After several months a novice could (with instruction and learning curve) monitor and maintain. It would be surprising if a novice Drupal user could be capable of planning development.

4. Benson Gray

Benson Gray Canoe History Enthusiast Staff Member

The WCHA's web site is due for another significant update so the incoming webmaster will have the chance to build the new version using their preferred platform and tools. The current site uses Drupal but it is unlikely that the new site will be based on that. There has also been significant discussion about what should be changed in the new version of the web site. This forum will stay but the number of items in the store may be scaled back for example. Let me know if this doesn't answer your question. Thanks,

Benson

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    MGC likes this.
  5. MGC

MGC Paddlephile

Thank you Benson....that makes a bit more sense.
    E-commerce ain't all it's cracked up to be. It can drive all kinds of craziness and complexity into a website. Presumably part of that discussion has included outsourcing that part of the requirement. More companies (organizations?) have decided that outsourcing e-commerce (and the related security/transactional development) overcomes the complications that go along with trying to make one enterprise solution that does everything. That could simplify the architecture/platform selection...been there done that.

6. Benson Gray

Benson Gray Canoe History Enthusiast Staff Member

Yes, I believe that there has been some discussion about outsourcing the store completely but no final decision has been made yet as far as I know. There are a lot of moving pieces in this puzzle.

Benson