Walter Walker Model 20 pics

Paul Miller

Canoe Nut
Hi All,

I wanted to share some pictures of a 1982 Walter Walker built Wm. English Model 20.

This is a great addition to my collection of Wm. English model 20's that includes an original 4 board, the 1927 OT wood/canvas version, the Peterborough Model 1430 raced by Gene Jensen and now the cream of the crop; Walter Walker build Model 20.

This canoe has been keep indoors out of the sun in what must have been a climate controlled atmosphere.

I got it from the original owner who mentioned it's been in the water twice.

Happy to share the pics,

Paul

Attachments

• deck 1r.jpg
    deck 1r.jpg
    377.4 KB · Views: 767
  • hull 1r.jpg
    hull 1r.jpg
    497.5 KB · Views: 810
  • hull 2r.jpg
    hull 2r.jpg
    456.2 KB · Views: 820
  • hull 4r.jpg
    hull 4r.jpg
    395 KB · Views: 769
  • ins 1r.jpg
    ins 1r.jpg
    403.1 KB · Views: 749
Interesting weave pattern on those seats-Double stranded grid, one axis simply overlying the other axis prior to the diagonal strands being woven through them.

Conventionally, the 'grid' is formed by four strands laid individually, the first three perpendicular layers simply stacked on top of each other before the fourth is woven through to provide a flat interwoven grid. This fourth layer can be time consuming to weave.

The method reflected by those pictures gets around that and still looks great! I was just about to start to weave the seats for my Old Town restoration...last step before launch. Perhaps I'll be in the water a little quicker

Interesting weave pattern on those seats-Double stranded grid, one axis simply overlying the other axis prior to the diagonal strands being woven through them.

It is very common among Canadian builders to weave seats this way. Old Town also apparently wove seat cane like this for a period - see Wooden Canoe No. 13 for more.

Paul,

Very nice canoe, someday I need to stop by for a visit.

and you ended up with the Jenson 1430 canoe. :) Of course it does seem to "fit" with your other canoes.

Dan

Hey Dan and anyone else out there,

My workshop and collection is always open for tours, fellow canoe nuts always welcome.

Happy paddling,

Paul

Back