Voyageur Paddle

wildpaddler

Anyone can learn to canoe
Here is the latest post on my blog.

Here are a few photos of a traditional voyageur paddle I just finished. It's based on the paddles displayed in Frances Anne Hopkins painting "shooting the Rapids" The blade shape of these paddles tends to be long, narrow, and curved as apposed to the more modern paddle with the same name which tends to also be long but has straight lines and is much wider. My version also has a modified northwoods grip. This time I chose to use ash for the shaft and cherry for the blade and grip. The paddle weighs 24 oz and has a blade that measures 32" X 4.5", the over all length is 63". It is a very long paddle so it will be interesting to see how it paddles. The finish is oil-varnish, which I have not used before so it will be interesting to see how well it stands up to the elements. As with all my paddles the edges of the blade are very fine to allow for silent paddling.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 538
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    400.1 KB · Views: 539
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    406.1 KB · Views: 645
That's really long for a voyageur paddle. The blades for the millieux paddlers would have been a lot shorter, probably only 24". I make mine about 26" x 5".

Good job.

Back