Unclenched Nail

Howard Caplan

Wooden Canoe Maniac
New canvas went on last fall along with filler. Started the finish work this week. Put a coat of varnish on the wood and a couple days later rolled it over to apply primer.
I found a nail head bulging out the canvas dead center about where the outstem will join up with the keel. I found the unclenched nail inside and pulled it in with some pliers. The end of the nail broke off leaving me very little to bend in. I was alone in the shop so I couldn't get an iron to the outside while bending the nail into the rib on the inside.
I am hoping that between this nail getting protection from the outstem and/or the keel and bending it better once somebody is around, that this won't give me any problems.
Any opinions about my hope or a better way to correct it?

Hi Howard,

The canvas is a lot tougher than you think.

Go ahead and hit the head from the outside and chinch/clinch with the iron on the inside.

I've done this on a few occations without future problems with the canvas. It's even safe to do after the canvas is fill.

Good luck,

Paul

Thanks Paul. Sometimes I need to hear what I think is right from somebody else. As soon as I have somebody with me at the shop, that is the plan.
On another note, great report from a couple weekends ago with Denis and Kathy. You said it well.

See you in September?

Howard

Back