trying to find 12/24 bronze wing nut

ebeeby

Novice Canoe Restorer
I thought Old town used to carry a 12/24 bronze wing nut for their diamond thwart bolts but the on-line catalog is "under construction"

Rolin didn't list one at Northwoods either. Anyone have a line on them?

I lost one somewhere between Texas and Wyoming on my 1929 Guide.
(the middle thwart uses wing nuts in case you need to remove it to load a moose or something)

I know it's not what you asked for but, I use nyloc nuts (ss) on ALL my canoe fasteners. I don't want them coming off.

I get them from McMasterCarr.

Dan

Thanks for your generous offer but a fellow WCHAer has emailed me that he had two he could part with.

Thanks again!

:D Rememger canoe people!....."life is NOT how many strokes of the paddle it takes to get you where your going, it is rather in the JOY of the journey" Loved seeing people ready to share something ...how about sharing an answer to a problem I have?...where do you measure from and to ..to get the actual size of the canoe...some say top of the stems ..some say to the further most part of the stems...thanks

good question.

yes, it's a good question. the answer is: It depends. how about the length of the outwhales? Or the waterline? Not likely. most what I see is length overall. loa. And when it comes to width, it gets even more interesting. I really don't know how to measure the height, I guess from off the floor if the boat is level?

Measuring canoe length

The rule of thumb for determining the length of your canoe is to measure from the stuff at the back of your garage to the garage door and add about 3 inches. That number is not only the length of the canoe you have now but also the length of any canoe you will ever buy.

Also I have the history of how those goofy square sterned canoes came to being if anyone is interested.

-Chuck

Last edited:
Are we trying to find nuts for canoes or canoe nuts? Looks like we're having better luck at the latter than the former. SWMBO thinks I'm nuts for canoes, and she doesn't mind telling me! :D

Back