Torrified Poplar

Lazy Jack

LOVES Wooden Canoes
My mind keeps wandering back to the possible utility of torrified wood for boat construction, especially torrified poplar which is available in clear long lengths.

I bought a chunk of it, planed it, tooled it, played with it etc in comparison with a clear piece of pine. It is not substantially heavier than pine and a little more brittle but not as soft. I didn't compare it with cedar (3/4 strip bending) but it felt like it wouldn't be much different.

I have built a strip guideboat over ribs 6 inches on center and 4oz glass on the outside using eastern white cedar and west. It is light and strong and holds up to moderate neglect but the glass has began to print through as the epoxy continues to post-cure (and perhaps break down in the heat of the parking lot)

I'm contemplating doing another strip guideboat over ribs using 1/4 x 3/4 bead and cove torriifed poplar without messing with any glass or epoxy. The strips would be nested in the newer gap-filling resourcinol, smoothed inside and out and simply painted.

The benefit of torrified poplar would be its relative lack of movement (which would allow gluing the strips together without splits or checks forming over time) and rot resistence (no bioavailable nutrients in torrified wood) I can find locally for 3 bucks a board foot so it is relatively inexpensive.

Am I crazy?

I had never heard of "torrefied". Did a google search for "torrefied wood" and came up with this site; http://www.torrefactionplus.ca/torrefied-wood.php
which states, "Torrefied wood must not be used for structural purposes." I presume that applies to marine/boat structures.

Looks like this is the "roasted" wood the local quality wood sellers are charging a premium on. I laughed, thinking of the irony of making a profit on what I assumed was someone's mistake ie. the thermostat or timer failed on a standard wood kiln producing a nice looking, "rare" product. I first noticed that roasted curly maple looks good. I even bought some and used it for knife handles. Lately I have noticed just about every species is available "roasted". For a premium, of course.

Back