Torn between choices in buying

JCFrog

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I'm torn between buying a 1939 Kennebec Katahdin model 17 ft that has been restored and some nice artwork added on top of the blue paint OR an Old Town 17 ft Molitor which is also in good shape , clear coat (natural wood look) .OR an OTCA from about 1981 that has never touched water (also clear coat) Same price on all of them. Thoughts anyone ?

I freely admit to being biased in favor of Old Town canoes. The Molitors and Otcas in my collection are great but I would suggest a painted Kennebec if you plan to ever actually paddle this canoe. The clear fiberglass covering looks good when brand new but quickly gets scratched as you start using it. Let us know what you decide.

Benson

Last edited:
excellent point. I do want to use it. In fact, I've also given some consideration to the Nova Craft Tuff Stuff material, but that would be a step back from the class of a wood /canvas canoe. At least the wood/canvas allows for much more character than just the "look" of natural wood.

Kennebec will be our featured canoe in the 2016 Annual Assembly of the WCHA (which will be held at Paul Smith's College of the Adirondacks in mid-July). I personally lean toward the Kennebec, in this field of choices, because it has more "historic value" in my opinion. But I am one who loves old canoes more than the newer ones... and both Old Towns are "newer" (as they are younger than I am-- this appears to be my definition of "new" when it comes to canoes). Also, I once owned a Kennebec Katahdin and wish I hadn't had to sell it-- beautiful canoe, paddled wonderfully. Would you like to see a video? (note how much this video has been viewed!). Not to twist your arm, but simply "weighing in"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRd5fFcr7R0

If you decide you'd like the Old Town Molitor, you may be interested in the history of this canoe, which begins with the B.N. Morris Company. There's a back issue of Wooden Canoe that discusses this, or you could spring for the book on Morris Canoes.

Let us know what you decide.

Kathy

If you ever would need to repair your canoes ribs or planks, the canvassed canoe is best.
Bound in fiberglass, the clear hull canoes can be a problem....they can't be taken apart, repaired and put back together easily.

Now I'm thinking of going with the Kennebec for my Jaguar class and an OT Penobscot for my Jeep class .

Now I'm thinking of going with the Kennebec for my Jaguar class and an OT Penobscot for my Jeep class .

You have a future in this..... one canoe is never enough. You should have a "pretty" one for showing off. You should have a beater for fishing and bird hunting. You should have a working canoe for trips. You probably should have a solo canoe for poking around. A canoe that portages well is good to have if you end up on a trip with lot's of carry's. You might decide that you want a courting canoe.... you should have a few Canadian canoes, canvas and wood strip. You should have a few canoes from Maine builders and certainly from New York builders. You should have at least one White, Old Town, Morris, Rushton, Gerrish, Chestnut, etc. It's worth having a boat or two from the current builders and of course you must have one that you build yourself.
You also need them in different lengths...14, 16, 17, 18, 20... Make sure that you cover the bases, canvas, cedar strip and lapstrake. Once you have all of the canoes you need, there are some really cute cartopper canvassed boats and of course there are the guide boats and sailing canoes. Others may see some holes in my list and add to it.
Yes, the Kennebec is the obvious choice, as long as you don't stop there.

All kidding aside, Kennebecs are good canoes. The only thing that I was not too fond of on the one I owned is the way the outside rails attach. That aside, they really resemble Old Towns in appearance and handling.

Since I don't have the space, bank account , or the need for a full fleet, I think I'll stick with the tuxedo version and one for jeans.
Can't determine if the Penobscot is actually a Royalex or something else. Anyone know if they were made in anything besides that ?
Don't have access to see the serial number yet.

Can't determine if the Penobscot is actually a Royalex or something else.

Older Penobscots were Royalex. I have had mine for about 20 years give or take. It's a great beater boat.
The newer ones are made with polyethylene...a material I am not fond of.. it's heavy.

I was under the assumption that ot made the royalex version until 2014 when the material was discontinued

I was under the assumption that ot made the royalex version until 2014 when the material was discontinued

Older in the context I was using it was meant to infer that before the the Poly boats, they were Royalex. I'm not sure when they made the switch, if OT started to offer Poly in that model before Royalex was no longer available. I would assume not but you could call the factory to find that out.

Penobscots before last year are all RX. Good beater boat. Performs quite well.

I would pick the canvas Kennebec for the reasons described. It ought to have a good story behind it. A lot of the charm of a wood canvas canoe is their easy repairability and restorability. When you add clear coat you add fiberglass, which makes restoring much harder.
Stories of old canoes are fascinating and I bet the Kennebec outlives the others. You may learn much by getting it; such as repairs that you really can do yourself. It will transform from a bought object to an object you put soul into.

Thanks , that's pretty much what I had in mind. The idea of the two is to have the masterpiece and one I could knock around without fear .
This confirms the material being RX on the OT . Now I am working on modifications to the canoe rack to handle 2 if needed.
Thanks everyone.

Seems to me we ought to have some pictures of each canoe before a decision is rendered. I mean, while the girls may be attracted to personality, us guys know is all about looks! That aside, I'd say always go for the canvas versions.

Decided to go for both. I Pick them up next week. Have to do some creative stuff on the Jeep to carry both of them.

Back