to Dan Miller, re:moving a business

Mark Reuten

Wood Butcher
This is directed primarily at Dan Miller but anybody is invited to pipe up. I'm moving my business from Vancouver B.C. to Victoria on Vancouver Island this comming spring. Dan, did you encounter much trouble getting re-started when you made your move and do you have any sage advice?

Well, since I haven't really worked on a canoe since I moved three years ago, I would say the first bit of advice is, "don't move". But, assuming you have to, here are a few nuggets of acquired wisdom (in no particular order):

1). Don't move to New York. The state will do its best to run you out of business...

2). Make sure the new homestead has a suitable shop *before* you move there.

3). Don't sell any molds or boats now that you will regret after the move.

I'll add more if I think of anything...

Best,
Dan

Well,
I'm moving as far west of NY state as I can without crossing all of the pacific, just some of it. However, Victoria BC does have the highest number of bylaws in the country including one against playing digeridoos in public spaces. I suppose that one is a bonus. They do get touchy about using boats in the harbour. God made it for float planes after all.

The new house has some usable shop space but we may have to jack the house up a couple of feet to make it work better.

I haven't gotten rid of a single boat in preperation of moving, in fact I've aquired a few more. A fella needs at least 12-15 for personal use after all.

Has the state been the main sumbling block, lack of customers, or have you focused on other earning activities?

Hi Mark,

I've turned away plenty of potential customers - sending them to Don and Scott... I've been wrapped up in the restoration of an 1830 farmhouse, including some heavy framing for the addition (see this thread: http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?t=46). With a little luck, we'll have a design for the new workshop for an early fall groundbreaking...

Cheers,
Dan

I'm jealous. Well, not of the house reno work. I have enough of that on my own hands. Mine's a spry 1913 shack with plenty of scaby, unfounded, closed in porch additions. I'm jealous of the idea of a new workshop.
I noticed in the refered to thread that you are going to build all-wood canoes. Which construction technique?

Which construction technique?

Primarly cedar lapstrake and smoothskin lapstrake. Perhaps some of the wideboard variations seen in old sailing canoes. Who knows?

Cheers,
Dan

Nice. I did a cedar lapstrake kayak about a year ago. I modified a bear mountain design to take a swollen plank keel and flatened the deck camber. Red cedar planking and deck; black locust framing; larch keel and yellow cedar cutwater, outwales and coaming. Pinetar/ linseed inside and out. I tried a pinetar and beeswax bedding compound on this one. pics attached

Attachments

• endeavourx3.jpg
    endeavourx3.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 500
  • endeavour deckframe detail.jpg
    endeavour deckframe detail.jpg
    758.9 KB · Views: 522
  • endeavour fin1.jpg
    endeavour fin1.jpg
    399.4 KB · Views: 501
Hey Mark,

Your reputation will follow you anywhere you go. That's your most valuable asset. Just make sure that everyone who needs to know where you have gotten to, knows. Keep visible in the lower mainland market, and they'll get to you.

Good luck with the new abode. I hate moving... just moving a household is enough of a chore, never mind the shop! OIE! We did it 8 years ago, and we're still getting some things set up, and I never did get the shop wall painted...

I came up with my business name because I seem to be constantly moving shop. Oh how I look forward to the day when I know I'm staying put for a while. I thought I was when I moved into the place I'm now leaving. I spent the big dollar on a new $5000 dollar concrete slab in the shop and a big bugger underground power cable and new breaker panel. I'm glad I never found time for the new roof.

Mark,
Thanks for sharing those photos. That boat looks awesome.
Since 245 people have viewed your message, I just thought I'd mention that the theme for this years Assembly is lapstrake construction. Hopefully that will provide the motivation for those of you who use this technique, or want to learn about it, to attend. Note the dates are several weeks earlier (July 13-17) than usual.

Back