Dave Osborn

LIFE MEMBER
Please post the following:
Double Ender #14911 16
Row Boat 173176 (I think)
Canoe #129128-17

Also what can you tell me about BN Morris short deck, closed gunwale #9780

Dave;

Can you double check the first serial # please - 14911. I'm pulling up a 17' CS grade HW with spruce gunwales, spruce decks, thwarts and seats, spruce finish rails and sponsons, originally painted dark green and shipped to Macy's, NYC, looks like Feb. 17 1911 (build card is not totally clear). see below.

I did some further looking. Any chance it could be 14999? Pretty difficult to tell from the build card, but this looks to be a DE Boat, and it's the only one in the whole of the 14900 series of cards right up to 14999. So, if it's anything close, this might be what you're looking for. see below

I'll be back with more info on the others; just need to switch cd's to get at the records.

Roger

Attachments

• 7035.gif
    7035.gif
    156.4 KB · Views: 281
  • 6948.gif
    6948.gif
    273.3 KB · Views: 277
Last edited:
Dave:

Re 129128, I find a 17' CS grade Otca model with open spruce gunwales and ash decks, seats and thwarts, looks like "2nd rails", painted brt. (bright?) green, with a painter ring in stem, shipped to VL &A, Chicago, 27 May 1940. see below

Re 173176, I find a 14' Square stern painted dark green, shipped to Thrall Boat Co., Woodruff, WI, 1 July 1964. also below

I'll leave the Morris part to Kathy or Denis, the experts.

Roger

Attachments

• 29009.gif
    29009.gif
    51.7 KB · Views: 302
  • 5383.gif
    5383.gif
    56.1 KB · Views: 293
Thanks for the compliment, Roger--- don't know that I'm an "expert"-- certainly not in the way that you are, in regard to model canoes! But there may be a couple things I can say about a Morris with a short deck, closed gunwales, s/n #9780, based on what our Morris database indicates:

This canoe hasn't appeared in the database, so I'd like to list it! Present thought regarding Morris serial numbers would place this canoe circa 1911 (with "circa" meaning "around the time of"). My guess is that the short deck is a heart, the closed gunwales may be spruce but could be mahogany... the original decks, thwarts and seat frames would have been and may still be mahogany, and it isn't 14 feet long. I'd love pictures and more statistics...

Kathy

Thanks Roger and Kathy!
I had only a brief and very cramped look at these boats. I must have the wrong number on the double ender, but the other two make good sense. Looks like I'll be restoring these for some local folks next summer. I'll straighten out the double ender number then.

Still smoothin' it in the northwoods!
Dave

Back