Thompson Canoe Yoke

bsterling1745

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
This is another of those long-shots.

I am having a 1930s era 17' Thompson Indian restored and a question about the original, but cut down, yoke has come up.

The original yoke would have been mounted on top of the gunwales on each side and held in place by a single bolt and wing-nut. The ends of the yoke extended an inch or more beyond the outer gunwales. It is the “extra” that has been trimmed down (by previous owner) so that he could mount it under the gunwale. I'd like to go back to something closer to original.

If you have a Thompson yoke, would you measure the yoke bar length, take pictures of the bolt placement and send to me? Any pictures would be helpful.

Thanks.

Bruce Casselton
bcasselton@aol.com

If you actually intend to carry it using the yoke you may find that it is much more manageable with the yoke under the gunwales instead of on top of them. It's something you notice during those steps in the process where you are initially getting the boat up on your shoulders, or taking it off later, and has something to do with the leverage differences between the two positions. The difference can sometimes be quite surprising.

I am also working on a 1939 Thompson Indian. It did not have a carrying thwart, but as I do alot of solo canoeing I will be adding one bolted under the inwales. I used a clamp on thwart on a Willits and as Todd said it can be tricky. Maybe Martin Ferwerda will weigh in as he is the Northwest chapters Thompson guru.

Back