This old canoe started it all

Dave Wermuth

Who hid my paddle?
IN about 1997 I came across a derelict canoe near me. I subsequently discovered the Old Town record, and WCHA. I paid $200 more than it was worth, it was worth zero... I was fortunate to find Brian Baker custom canoes who restored it for me. He wasn't home when I picked it up. He said leave the check in the door, the canoe is in the garage. A month later I ran it up onto a stick up and put a hole in it. I call Brian who told me how to fix it and he became my canoe restorer mentor by phone. Around 40 canoes later and after a few trips to Canada it is time to recanvas the Old Town named "Grandma Old Town" by friend Ferdy Goode. I'm learning some of Brian Baker's trade secrets for canvassing canoes. It's been a wonderful hobby and I met many great people and had many remarkable experiences.

Attachments

• this old canoe.jpg
    this old canoe.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 366
I agree with Fred. The WCHA has given me a lot of enjoyment. There are great folks on this site - all very friendly and helpful. It has filled a huge void in my garage/workshop! (I have too many canoes.)

Back