The start of another canoe

canoebuildermark

student of canoes
Some of you showed a bit of interest when I posted pictures showing the building of my last canoe project, so I thought I would post some of the one I'm building now.
I modified the hull shape quite a bit from the last canoe. The old form was dismantled and cannibalized for the new mold. The length will be the same, fifteen feet. The width at the waterline is the same, as well as the widest measurement, twenty nine inches. The differences are the increased tumblehome and rocker. My wife had a long reach to paddle, so I tucked in the gunwales an additional 3/4" on both sides bringing it in a total of about 1 1/2" per side. The rocker went from 1" to 2".
I'm also trying some weight saving ideas on this one. I increased the rib spacing from 2" on center to 2 1/4”, which will eliminate ten ribs; the ribs are also downsized from 5/8" x 5/16" to 5/8" x 1/4". Instead of an ash or oak keelson I’m using spruce, and I'm eliminating the outer stem. With all that, I hope to get the weight down from 60# to 55#.
I also included a picture of my wife paddling one of the canoes I built last year. It was taken on our Wisconsin/ Illinois Chapters outing a few weeks ago on the Pecatonica River.

Attachments

• Merri in a canoe.JPG
    Merri in a canoe.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 700
  • half ribs.JPG
    half ribs.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 643
  • long shot.JPG
    long shot.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 650
  • tumblehome.JPG
    tumblehome.JPG