Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

The 1820 Journal and Plans of Survey of Joseph Treat and Pimola's Rock

Discussion in 'Books, Videos, and the Like' started by Benson Gray, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Benson Gray

Benson Gray Canoe History Enthusiast Staff Member

I recently read "Wabanaki Homeland and the New State of Maine: The 1820 Journal and Plans of Survey of Joseph Treat" by Joseph Treat, Micah A. Pawling as described at https://books.google.com/books/about/Wabanaki_Homeland_and_the_New_State_of_M.html?id=AMDGT3CK0vwC on the web. It is a great book and I was particularly interested to learn about Pimola's Rock where the Indians were said to have left "presents for Pimola, of Tobacco, Pipes, Jacknives &c." This is near the current village of Mattawamkeag, Maine so Laurie and I set out to find it this weekend. The old map and description from the book are attached below along with some pictures and a modern map from Google. The 1820 description of a "circular hole in form of a pot 2 feet deep" is no longer accurate but it is not surprising that this would have changed a bit over nearly two hundred years. The current hole is only a few inches deep with my offering of a quarter in the bottom shown below for scale. Fun stuff,

Benson

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016