Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Suggestions For Bending New Gunnels On Old Town Near The Ends.

Discussion in 'Wood and Canvas' started by Bob Buss, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Bob Buss

Bob Buss Curious about Wooden Canoes

I am installing new spruce gunnels on a 1925 HW Old Town. I know the original gunnels were shaped narrow at the ends to make the severe bend. Having trouble getting the spruce to bend. I have heated the ends with hot moist cloth. First attempt cracked. I do not want to cut down the top part of the hull at stems as someone suggested. I would like to keep the shape original. Any ideas out there on how to shape those gunnels to the original hull shape? Thanks Bob

2. Greg Nolan

Greg Nolan enthusiast

Bob Buss likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Bob Buss

Thank you

4. 1905Gerrish

1905Gerrish LOVES Wooden Canoes

Bob,
    Greggs suggestion is a good one but first you need to get moisture in the wood. Submerge the gunnel ends in water for a few days before attempting to bend the gunnels. The first 4 ft should do. They need lots of moisture to bend and hold shape.

5. OP
    OP
    Bob Buss

Thank you. I appreciate your taking the time to share with me.

6. samb

samb LOVES Wooden Canoes

If you are steaming in a plastic bag tube, you can soak them in that. Just put a couple of folds and clip the end before filling with water.
    Sam

7. OP
    OP
    Bob Buss

Thank you Sam

8. David Satter

David Satter LOVES Wooden Canoes

IMG_3532.JPG IMG_3518.JPG Soak for a day or two. Stick the ends in a upright piece of pvc, with a cap on the bottom of course. Steam for no more then an hour. Clamp. Leave it a few inches long for leverage. Nice if you have a helper, humans work best. IMG_3478.JPG

9. OP
    OP
    Bob Buss

Thank you. I appreciate your help!