Sturgeon Nose Canoe

Discussion in 'Birchbarks, Dugouts and Primitive Craft' started by kayakster, Aug 9, 2011.

1. kayakster

kayakster Guest

In 2010 I was contacted by Harry W., a member of the Sinixt people who was interested in commissioning a traditional Sinixt canoe which, as it turns out, is a Sturgeon Nosed canoe.

Today it was delivered to the very happy new owner. He is probably the first person in his family to paddle such a canoe in 100 years or so. Follow the link for pics & more info.

http://paddleandoar.com/notebook/snc/index.html

[​IMG]

2. pklonowski

pklonowski Unrepentant Canoeist

Interesting piece of work; thank you for sharing this! We do like pictures.

How is the fabric secured to the frame, and what makes it watertight?

3. normsims

normsims Morris canoe fan

Here are a couple photos of sturgeon nose canoes that I took in the Museum of Anthropology in Vancouver. The canoes were made for more than 10,000 years by the peoples of what is now British Columbia.

Attached Files:

4. OP
    kayakster

kayakster Guest

Thanks for the comments all.

pklonowski - The fabric is untreated ballistic nylon. It has 5 coats of oil based polyurethane spar varnish which fills the weave. The ends are sewn and the varnish fills the needle holes. The fabric around the gunwales is held by pressing the rub strip to the gunwales.

normsims - Thanks for those great pics. Since I started researching for this project I have put together a collection of links, images, and books. I may have to put together a page just for those links! Thanks again.

5. OP
    kayakster

kayakster Guest

I have just included a list of links, books, and forums at the bottom of the sturgeon nosed canoe build page for all who are interested. If you all find anything "new", I'd love to include it.

Cheers,

Paul M.

http://paddleandoar.com/notebook/snc/index.html

6. Paul Montgomery

Paul Montgomery Peace, Love, Sawdust

Although I built this boat, I am wondering (in Canoe-speak) what the lengthwise slats are called. Stringers? Lathe? Just curious.

-----

BTW, I wanted to use my real name instead of kayakster, but didn't know how to change it, so I just started a new account. Hope it doesn't confuse things.

Cheers,

Paul M

7. Bob Holtzman

Bob Holtzman Wannabe

Adney called them battens. In one instance, he calls them "sheathing battens," but this is only to distinguish them from the battens that were used to close in the bow and stern seams. He acknowledges that they don't constitute sheathing in the normally accepted sense, but that they did serve a comparable purpose.

8. Paul Montgomery

That's what I was looking for. I thought I had read that but wasn't exactly sure where.

Thanks!

9. Bob Holtzman

Bob Holtzman Wannabe

10. Paul Montgomery

Great article. Thanks for the mention. I'll put it on my list of links when I get a little time today.

Cheers