Storing a wood canvas canoe on it's side or straight up and down

buffalostu2

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I know this is a classic no no and I would not be asking if I were not in a tough predicament. I am committed to making something work rather than getting rid of my 1923 OCTA.

Does anyone know of a way to store a wood canvas canoe on its side or even straight up and down? By hanging or any other solution? I am in a space crunch and have the sideways room but not flat.

Any direction, snide remarks aside, would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

The key to this is to support it in a way that is not likely to distort the rails or hull over time. The quarter thwarts are probably the strongest areas to hang it from. Let us know what you decide and how it works out. Good luck,

Benson

It isn't likely to make much difference being totally vertical on end or horizontal on its side. The stem is likely to distort over time if you just stand it up on end vertically and lean it against a wall. (Some of my old canoes have distorted stems even though they have probably never been stood on end.) I would still use the thwart areas to support and brace it if you can, regardless of the orientation. Others here may have better suggestions,

Benson

I'm not sure I understand the limitations but you can store safely on its side in canvas slings. it is probably wise to change sides periodically.I store overhead on bars with
no distortion.

I have a small row house in the city and I currently store it between houses with a cover. On it's gunwales it takes up the entire space and my neighbor wants access. On its side takes up half the room.

Perhaps two L shaped brackets attached to your house mounted 6ft up the wall. Canoe can rest on these upside down. People can walk under. Any metal fabrication shop could easily weld a bracket that would be less invasive and stronger than wood dimensional lumber.

I've heard of a canoe being stored vertically in a really big 'laundry bag'. If outdoors, you would have to protect it from rain, yet do not put the canoe into a plastic bag. It would have to be breathable. Some of our members do transport their canoes in bags, though those are not designed for this purpose. Something similar to those, but re-enforced. Could a pully be mounted outside a second story window? Tom McCloud

Back