Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Stem/deck Detail

Discussion in 'Wood and Canvas' started by Miquel, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Miquel

Miquel Curious about Wooden Canoes

hello-

In the process of restoring a 50s OT Yankee- i had to replace the decks, inwhale tips, and stem ends. I did have nearly complete decks to use as patterns though, and my planking was pretty much complete, so i was able to extrapolate the lines and go from there.

The question I have is this; after blithely copying the decks and stem curve that i had, i found that when i went to fit them the only way it all wouldve worked out was a little different than id expect from the various books and articles ive read had me thinking it would. Ill attach a sketch of it. Is this a way OT did this detail in the 50s or did i screw something up? Either way im going forward but im just curious.

Attached Files:

2. mccloud

mccloud Wooden Canoe Maniac

Your drawing seems to show the inwales butting up against the back of he stem? Old Town inwales extended the whole way to the leading edge of the stems. A notch was cut from the top into the stem tip and the inwale sat on it. Typically a tiny nail was driven in to hold in inwale in place.

3. OP
    OP
    Miquel

Miquel Curious about Wooden Canoes

yknow as soon as I posted that pic I sat a minute looking at it and felt foolish. think I was getting a little too focused on the wrong things there as I was making the components. oh well. now ive got to decide if I want to redo it. thanks for the input.