Steel Nails - ignore, replace, or double up with copper?

svenbob

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Ok, working on a 15' Picard and of course the inwale and planks at the stems are secured by steel nails. I have read that the steel will eventually rust away and that they should be pulled and replaced by copper nails. It sounds like this is quite a chore and the boat is holding together well for now. So would it be easier to just drill additional holes and putting in one or two copper nails in the ribs/inwales and planks/stems for the day when the steel rusts away?

I've worked on Huron, Old Town and other builders canoes that had some steel nails and screws in them. Yes, they rust and leave ugly black scars that cannot be removed in the wood. When they are easy to remove, I take them out. However, if a lot of damage is done to the wood by removing them, I will leave them alone. It is not unusual that they are so solidly rusted into place that they will not pull or will break off if you try. Adding a few brass tacks or copper nails won't hurt. And if I am re-tacking something that had a steel nail in it, I replace with brass or copper. Tom McCloud

Back