St. Regis Canoe Area

Brly

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
My wife and I, along with my brother and sister in law got back from a long weekend on Long Pond yesterday. It was our first time canoe camping in the Adirondacks as adults. We had rain each day but it was broken up enough to get out of camp. Friday was spent finding a campsite and setting up. We hiked Long Pond Mountain Saturday morning and hoped to get a lot of paddling in Saturday afternoon, but a cold wind and steady rain set in just as we got back to camp. My brother and I got out for a short jaunt just before dark. Of course, Sunday morning was clear and sunny as we packed up and paddled out. We had a great time despite the weather and can't wait to go back and check out some of the other ponds. The Otca performed well and was a delite to camp out of. IMG_6194.jpgimage000000(9).jpg20201005_081317.jpg

Beautiful canoe! There are some nice spots on that pond, and the trailhead for Long Pond Mountain can only be reached by water so that makes for a great trip! There are a few other paddle/hike combinations in the area that are just wonderful. For example, you can paddle to a trailhead for St Regis Mountain, hike to the top, and climb the firetower there. I hope you have a chance to come back to the area and that the weather cooperates a little better next time.

Thanks! I had done a lot of reading before this trip to get familiar with the area. We were already looking at the map and planning another trip. Discussed staying on St. Regis Pond, finishing the 6 carries route, hiking St. Regis mountain and heading back to camp as a day trip. I'd love to do the 9 carries route too, but I don't think I'll take my 90 lb canoe on that trip and I'm not sure if the girls will be up for it yet. We had a ball!

Back