So, what year is your canoe if build started in one year and was finished in the next?

oldboatoldgoat

Soon to be CANOE-A-HOLIC
I've been looking around and thought I'd find this question to have a simple answer. Well, I am either not talented with the search here / google or it justs a matter of opinion.

I have 2 restoration projects. Both are started in the later part of one year and complete and shipped in the next year. So, what year model do you call it? Example. Started in 1916 and finished in 1917.

Just trying to not beat my head to bad but, this is starting to drive me nuts. o_O Thought this would be just a quick answer.

Cheers and help me regain my sanity!:confused:

it justs a matter of opinion.

Answers to questions like this usually begin with "It's your canoe..." Canoe models didn't change every year like cars so the date is somewhat arbitrary. Auctioneers and other sellers often select the earliest "Half Built" date when it came off the form since it makes it seem more rare. I have always felt that a canoe isn't 'born' until it leaves the factory so the "Shipped" date is more correct. Let us know what you decide.

Benson

I have an Old Town that was started in 1918, but didn't ship unitl 1919. I often refer to it as a "1918/19" canoe. It's just another way to keep me confused!

Benson,

Thanks for the input. I completely agree with everything you said and that is how I look at it too!

It was just one of those things that has been driving me nuts for no real reason.

It'd be like calling a car complete with no interior, shoes or socks on it.

So, I have a 1916/1917 - That I call a 1917 and a 1926/1927 - That I call a 1927.

Cheers and thanks again everyone.

Back