Should I apply varnish when it's 90+ degrees?

Brian J Knudsen

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
I'm looking for advice on varnishing, or not varnishing, when it is hot. I have time today to apply varnish, but it's hot and I don't know if I should. Ninety-one is the high. I would be in a garage with the door open, so it would be shaded. There is enough ventilation. I am concerned about the effect of the heat on how fast the varnish would set up. I'm using Total Boats Gleam by Jamestown.

Thanks for your advice,
Brian

Do a test on scrap wood and see what happens. If it has enough time to flow out, handles well (doesn't drag) while brushing and dries nice and clear in a reasonable amount of time it's probably OK.

Actually if you are doing the first few thinned coats that could work in your favor. It will cure quickly allowing you to sand and get the next coats on sooner.

I've varnished countless times at such temperatures in the deep South. The only thing that stresses me (and my varnish) out is sweat! Don't drip in your varnish! I most often use Epifanes (I've used most major marine brands, but Epifanes is pretty much all I've used for years now), and their instructions say to varnish below 85ºF. I've used it year-round with no ill effects. And remember that your high temperature on any given day will probably only last for a few hours at most.

I just varnished and it was in the high 80s. The varnish went on just fine. The biggest challenge was not sweating on my varnish. You got that right Michael.

Thanks for the advice everyone!
Brian

Back