Shellack recipe

Lude Kraak

I am looking for help/tips/support/ or ideally a recipe for mixing Shellack.

Last year we made a 3 pound cut from waxed Shellack and 98% ethanol.

It looked like what we where used to (Zinsser) it applied the same but the problem was ,it washes off far to quickly.
So something in our recipe is missing or wrong........
Our Shellack supplier suggested the use of Gummi benzoë, but then how and what quantity?

I tried to find information on google and on forum but found zero.

Over here in Europe we have a growing community of wood and canvas paddlers and the all need Shellack,importing from the states is getting more and more complicated.
So we are trying the solution of mixing it our selves.

I hope you can help us.

Kind regards
Lude Kraak

To control the quality of the shellac I use I've started to keep my own colony of shellac beatles. I'm getting ready to harvest soon but I'm not sure how to separate the females from the males...

Alright, that isn't true. The question I have is what the need is. If it's for the outside of the hull OK, I get it. I have one of my canoes finished that way. The shellac is a nice finish for a working hull. I will do others that way in the future.

If the shellac is for the inside of the hull, I'm not sure it's absolutely essential. I have used it one some boats but I don't consistently use it. Rushton canoes were prepped with shellac..so I use it on them but I'm not inclined to use it on Maine canoes. Good thinned varnish makes a great base coat and penetrates better than shellac.
What is it being used for?

@Fitz thanks for your response.....I was familiar with how to apply and the origin and base mix off Shellack....and asking for more experienced specific details in the recipe
Add in Gummi Benzoë?........or lin seed oil...... and then in what quantity .....using different alcohol (which is a whole world off its own) etcetera

@MGC the answer to your problem is simpel. Harvest with fool moon only, couse then you will see the difference and picking the females is only then possible.
I use Shellack for the outside in the water part of the canoe, it handles hitting rocks pretty good ,is easy in maintenance
Looks nice (love the craqulee when it gets older) ,and is a nice help line to determine your trim

Cheers
Lude

Reactions: MGC
try dissolving in lab grade alcohol, if you cannot get that then look for 190 proof corn moonshine. for real. Also there are other gums that are used to make shellac harder. Visit the violin varnish making suppliers.

Back