Shellac As A Base For Varnish

Dan Lindberg

Ex Wood Hoarder
I thought I'd start a new thread for this,
but, the comments in the recent tread on prep'ing for varnish about using shellac for a base is interesting.
So, does anybody have some pics they can post of with and without using shellac as a base?

I'd love to see how the 2 methods look.

Dan

Sorry, I don't have two pictures, but I thought I would chime in.

• I use shellac a lot, especially on canoes that needed new ribs and planking. I strip the whole canoe, stain the new wood only, and then use 2 coats of shellac before varnish. I find that it helps blend the new and old wood well.
  • The shellac dries very fast, so there is no need to wait for a thinned sealing varnish coat to dry. I scuff the shellac between coats, and before the first coat of varnish.
  • I have not bothered to find de-waxed shellac figuring the scuffing helps with the mechanical bond.
  • There are a number of varieties of great colors of shellac. I think it does add warmth and color to the interior of the canoe.
  • Mixing and clean-up is easy.
  • I have noticed some blistering of varnish in hot sun, but it is on canoes that I can't remember if I used shellac on them or not, so I am not ready to blame the shellac. I have not noticed any other ill effects.

Shellac bonds well to spar varnish. On a new canoe or after stripping a rebuild I use a coat or two of orange shellac. On a rebuild this seals the wood so I can experiment with stain glazes on the new ribs. If I'm not happy with the result I can wipe off the glaze and keep experimenting until I get a stain that closely matches the old wood. Since the shellac is alcohol soluble I can use mineral spirits to remove the stain without affecting the shellac underneath. On a new canoe it creates a very nice warm color to the new wood.

Here are two before and after shots of a rebuild I did a few years ago.
DSC_4122.jpg
DSC_4168.jpg

Thanks Guys,
That canoe came out great.
I've used shellac on other projects but not canoes, now I need to try it.

Dan

Back