Shell Lake

Dave Osborn

LIFE MEMBER
C95B09BD-0323-4E39-BA70-6620661A5E66.jpeg
is the ledger sheet available for this duck boat?

When I contacted them I got help from Mr. Ripley, I got a copy of the record. They have a book of the Shell Lake Canoe Co.

No, only some of their canoe records have been reproduced. Try the Washburn County Historical Society Museum. Sorry, Benson

One must question why an organization would covet this information and choose not to share it with an organization such as the WCHA, one comprised of a membership of canoe owners, collectors, builders restorers and historians. I realize that there have been ongoing efforts to obtain open access to the Shell Lake records and that there have been barriers . What is the current situation, what might be done, is there any possibility of obtaining these records so that they might become more accessible? Without any basis in fact, is my presumption that the Washburn County Historical Society Museum is guilty of self aggrandizing a fair conclusion or am I way off base?

The Washburn museum has been very helpful to individuals asking for single records and to people who show up in person like Barry Christenson did when he kindly photographed 23 pages of canoe records last summer. The organization seems less interested in working with remote organizations like the WCHA to get entire volumes scanned. It is believed that two other books of Shell Lake records may be available but they weren't able to easily locate them in late August of 2017. I have no reason to believe that "the Washburn County Historical Society Museum is guilty of self aggrandizing" or anything else. My guess is that they are just very short staffed and not perfectly organized. I have researched canoe information with a number of different museums ranging from the Smithsonian to tiny regional ones and found this to be true with most of them. Let me know if this doesn't answer the questions or if anyone else is willing to go spend some time there to photograph or scan these records. Thanks,

Benson

Last edited:
Thanks Benson...that is helpful insight...
I agree about museums and historical societies. They are often manned by volunteers and typically immersed in more work than they can manage. Which is of course a reason for them to accept help when it's offered................

Pulling of the thread....are they willing to permit photography/reproduction of the records they have? Is the need for WCHA members to take on the task of copying and then formatting their records?
I'm not particularly interested in a visit to Shell Lake but if there is data to organize, I'd be willing to engage. Winters here are a great time to take on canoe related projects.

are they willing to permit photography/reproduction of the records they have? Is the need for WCHA members to take on the task of copying and then formatting their records?
I'm not particularly interested in a visit to Shell Lake but if there is data to organize, I'd be willing to engage. Winters here are a great time to take on canoe related projects.

They have been willing to permit reproduction of their records so far. The issue appears to be getting permission to move anything out of their building to be scanned. The 23 pages which have been photographed to date have not been exceptionally difficult to organize. Your offer is much appreciated but there isn't much off-site work to do at this point. I will let you know if we get a larger batch of images in the future. Thanks,

Benson

Back