Shell Lake help

paulfredricks

Too Many Hobbies
Hi All,

I'm doing some repairs to a Shell Lake I got this winter. THere is a little rot and I'm trying to repair it as best I can, but I've never worked on a canoe before. The keel was in rough shape. I will replace it, but don't know what kind of wood it is. Any ideas? The same goes for the other areas of rot shown in the pictures. I really need to by the book so I can call the parts by name.
I don't know that I've seen a canvas canoe before. The close up shows the material under the paint. Is that fiberglass?
I'd like to repaint this canoe as the current layer is peeling. What is the best way to remove this layer and what type of paint should I use?

Sorry for all the questions. If anyone is in the Bethel, CT area and would like a look, let me know.

Paul

Attachments

• Shell Lake 1.jpg
    Shell Lake 1.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 641
  • Shell Lake 2.jpg
    Shell Lake 2.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 657
  • Shell Lake 3.jpg
    Shell Lake 3.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 624
  • Shell Lake 4.jpg
    Shell Lake 4.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 602
Looks like fiberglass to me. The weave is too coarse to be canvass abd the sharp cracking of the coating looks more like a resin or epoxy than filler. Good news is, at least based on the one close up, whoever did the glass work didn't do a good job soaking the cloth. It should be easy to remove.

Last edited:
Thanks Mike,

I'm not sure I want to tackle that much of a restoration yet. Maybe next winter. Sounds like a good reason for some local canoeists to get together for a beer or two?

Paul

Discussion...

Paul, I agree with Mike...

You have a location, a subject complete with pictures, materials and interested parties... Sounds like you just need beer... Jump in and start at the middle... that way you can go to either end and it will only be half the work...

Enjoy, Joe

Like Mike said, your canoe has been glassed. It really should be removed and recanvassed properly.

Shell Lake used spruce, mahogany or oak for gunwales, mahogany or oak for decks, thwarts and seats, and oak for stems and keels. Narrows down your choices quite a bit, but you'll still have to be a wood detective, or hook up with someone who knows.

Back