ser # 167-15

hoogkamp

I bought what I thought was an old cedar canoe about four years ago. I found it perticularly interesting to me because it was built as a sailing canoe and I love both sailing and canoeing. I was told that this canoe was originally canvas covered. I have most of the original equipment-mast,sail,rudder,2-side boards minus the cross piece,and of course the canoe which i feel is in pretty good condition. If I could get any background information on this canoe I would be very appreciative(year,make,model,any history,and possible value)because I guess I'm not sure of what I have and I would like to restore and use this canoe the right way. Thank you Rich Hoogkamp,Adirondacks,NY

There are not many records available to identify a canoe with a three digit serial number and I don't know any manufacturer that commonly used a dash in their format. Is your number followed by a space and two more digits indicating the length in feet? Let me know which digit is the least clear and I will take another look at the records. You may want to try a flashlight at a very low angle to emphazise the shadows or a crayon with paper like a grave stone rubbing. You may be able to identify your canoe from other characteristics described at http://www.dragonflycanoe.com/id/ in the Wood Canoe Identification Guide. It would also be helpful if you could post some pictures here along with the length and a few more details about your canoe. Feel free to reply if you have any other questions.

Benson

Back