Selling 1915 Old Town canoe

Glenn Clemens

I have a 1915 Old Town canoe, model CS, grade HW, restored between 20 and 30 years ago, hasn’t been on the water since. I have two questions. Does anyone have any idea what the value might be? (My rather wild guess is $2000.) And does anyone know somebody who would be interested in buying it? Located in Saranac Lake.

Attachments

• 91D6096F-0D40-4EE5-95AD-825FB928FBB9.jpeg
    91D6096F-0D40-4EE5-95AD-825FB928FBB9.jpeg
    380.8 KB · Views: 314
Hi Glenn, see this link for information on what the value may be: http://forums.wcha.org/index.php?threads/how-much-is-my-old-wooden-canoe-worth.57/

My 2 cents.... Don't sell it to someone who's just going to hang it from the ceiling in their great camp! Or maybe keep it and get it out on Adirondacks lakes again!

I live right in the area, if you don't find a buyer this summer, need to get rid of it, and the price was to drop substantially I have a soft spot in my heart for W/C canoes that need new homes.... mostly due to the bad influence of an unnamed person on this forum.

Good luck!

Glenn, I agree with Shari and think she has clinched her two tacks just right. To me , it seems the soul of a canoe is in the water. If you have not had it out yet , if circumstances allow, put it in a quiet cove and think about it . I hope you come across a couple loons in the process.
Have fun, Dave

It should certainly be taken for a quick spin around Ampersand Bay before it's sold.....
Unless you are losing your storage I'd be inclined to use it or simply put it back where it sat for the last 20+ years. In 20 years the market for these might be a bit stronger.
Do you know the SN? The canoe I grew up paddling was also a 1915 CS from up that way, Hollywood...now under the Carry Falls reservoir.

Back