Sanding between ribs

Denis M. Kallery

Passed Away July 3, 2012
In Memoriam
Tonight We went to Menards (read home depot, lowes or whatever). I picked up a Dremel contour sander 6000-01. It has 10 sanding contours, several of which may work just dandy between the ribs. Obviously I haven't tried it yet but it sure looks like it has potential. Anybody tried one? If so how'd it work?
Thanks, Denis

No, but this works great. Sand-O-flex. Got mine at Lee Valley.

Attachments

• January 19, 2009 026.jpg
    January 19, 2009 026.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 1,309
???

Douglas, what type of boat is that? I noticed the double holes for the keel (w/ alternating screw placement?) - different than my OTC... seems like it would have a crazy-wide keel.

RE sanding - I used a hand Black and Decker sander for the ribs, planks by hand. Never used a Dremel, although it sounds like it might save you quite a bit of work.

My sander

Here are some pics of the sander I modified for that kind of sanding. I glued outfitting foam pads to the bottom.
Al

Attachments

• 021_1Af.jpg
    021_1Af.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 1,185
  • 022_0Af.jpg
    022_0Af.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 1,284
Well Chris,
Kathy sold her house so now the corner in fact the whole North end except where the ladder to the second floor is; I was going to put the furnace in is full of stuff from her house ---so it will have to wait till spring. :(:(
Denis

Denis/Kathy,
Congates on the sale, now you can get more toys (projects) :).

Al,
Thanks for posting, that's close to what I tried, except I only had 1 pad and it was wood with a rubber surface glued on. I used self-stick sand paper cut to size. I suspect the double foam pads would work better.

Dan

good idea!

Here are some pics of the sander I modified for that kind of sanding. I glued outfitting foam pads to the bottom.
Al

i may have to borrow this idea. i have been trying to figure out a non-manual way to do all on my sanding!

Back