Sailing parts

Daniel Day

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
When I bought my '59 otca it had all the sailing equipment with it. I am going to try to get it out on the water, but I need to replace the sail. What is a good materal to use?
There is very little information on the build sheet. Would it have stated that it will be rigged for sailing equipment or are all the parts bought as a package afterword?
Thanks for info.

Attachments

• P1030989(Medium).JPG
    P1030989(Medium).JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 1,038
Usually, if an Old Town came from the factory with a sail rig, the build record will indicate "Mast Seat and Step" on it. I guess they just assumed the rest of the components were included and if necessary, properly fit before leaving. The sail rig could also be purchased later and installed by the owner.

The original sails were made of Egyptian cotton, which is hard to find these days, is prone to deteriotion, and does not set as well as modern alternatives. Most folks these days use Egyptian dacron for sailing canoes. It looks properly vintage, holds up well and can be shaped well. WCHA's own Todd Bradshaw and Douglas Fowler are a couple of excellent sail makers with specific experience with sailing canoes.

Cheers,
Dan

Canoe Sailing

Thanks Dan, I am looking foreword to trying to sail this thing. I have made thwarts to put in place of the seats. I should be able to balance it out. The previous owner (and still my friend) said he had never had it under sail in the 30 yrs. he had it. Thanks to the picts and drawings on the WCHA site I have been able to recreate the rigging and rudder control. Another friend of mine said he would video tape me from the shore. Which is ok since it is my camera. Other then the sail it is ready.

Make your own sail?

The folks at Sailrite.com can make you a sail kit if you want to make your own. You can select from various colors, materials, etc. Not hard. I've done 2.

Making Sail

Thanks Steve, I have the ability to make my own sail. I will look into it. The weather is good and I will let you know in a couple of weeks. Might even have video.

Back