Ruston 15" Indian Girl

Dave Kosley

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I recently became the guardian of a Ruston 15" Indian Girl. Definitive markings include "JH Ruston, Canton NY" on one stem. Serial # 1323 clearly stamped in each stem. C.E. Wells Builder Canton NY on one thwart. And "Trade INDIAN GIRL Mark on the other thwart.

Any information about this canoe will be greatly appreciated!

Best,
Dave Kosley

Clarence Wells worked at the Rushton factory, though he is listed in census records as a painter.

Well is also known to have built Indian Girls on his own after the factory closed in 1917.

I saw a Wells-built Indian Girl once - someone tried to convert it to a duckboat (really!).

Dan, is that Wells the same one that was so ridiculously priced?
That is the only one that I ever encountered. Had the price been more "sane" it would probably be adding to my storage crisis.
I don't recall that it had been tweaked but I do recall that the restoration was far from perfect.

Could be. It was at Assembly, probably the year I left my camera out overnight in the rain, and lost all the photos. :(

I made a lowball offer on it and the seller just walked away.

I didn't see it at the assembly, but I suspect it may have been the same one. It was advertised several times on Craigslist, once (if memory serves....:eek:) in the Glens Falls area. I also attempted a poke at a more reasonable price... that dog did not hunt.

I have a 15'er also. Not used for tandem around here. The stern seat is narrow and set well back. But it is a lovely canoe overall. Enjoy.

It may be time for you to post some pictures of your project. I's love to see the Wells and Rushton markings.
I'm inclined to think Wells did not carry on with pocketed rails.
What are the odds that Wells added his own stamp to one of his contract hulls? Or is it possible that he later worked on this boat and added it then?

Here are images of the stem and thwart impressions. I recall seeing a thread in which the Trade Mark tamp also included "JH Ruston." At some point I'll make up a good story related to all these unanswered questions.

Attachments

• IMG_9857.jpg
    IMG_9857.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_9858.jpg
    IMG_9858.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_9855.jpg
    IMG_9855.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_9859.jpg
    IMG_9859.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 117
The serial number indicates it was built midway between the time the IGs were first offered in 1901 and when the company incorporated after Rushton's death in 1905. Wells is shown in a group photo of factory workers that is dated circa 1905, where he is listed as head painter.

I suppose it could have been an "after hours" build (employees were known to do this at times), or possibly it was a canoe he repaired at some point. Or...

Have you looked at the underside of the thwart Wells branded?

MGC, you mean me? Mine is, if I remember correctly #3250. Not sure what Wells branded is? I got mine from Al Bratten years ago.

Wells branded, stamped with Wells makers mark....as the canoe in this thread is.
There were several St Lawrence County builders making IG clones. Wells is one of them.
They don't turn up very often but they are around. This one is odd in that the SN suggest it was made during the period when Rushton was still alive. It's hard to imagine allowing an employee build off of your company's form using identical parts and putting their own name on it as the maker.

This is my first experience with a canvased canoe, so I am learning exponentially! As best as I can tell, it has not been re-canvased. Then again, could the canvas have held up for 115 +/- years. The elderly gentleman (84 I believe) I purchased from bought her second hand when he was 12. He lived in Upstate New York. He said he used auto paint on the hull at one point, so I'll be aware of possible lead paint as I proceed.
The attached picture shows an irregularity in the hull. One side has had additional layers of planking added (about 2.5 feet worth), I assume to fair out the hull. Is this something there have seen?

Attachments

• IMG_9871.jpg
    IMG_9871.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 111
Dave,
Would you mind sharing a few more pictures of your canoe. It's really hard to visualize what you are describing.
Yes, a canvas can probably last that long depending upon storage and usage. It would be pretty unusual, but it is possible. You should be able to look for tack holes in the ribs and stems to figure out how often it's been canvased.
As an aside, it would be interesting to learn what "Upstate NY" suggests. I am from what we call upstate, Potsdam, about 11 miles from where your canoe was probably made. I once met an older man who said he had a Wells canoe. He lived Parishville. I wonder if this is his canoe? parishville is about 20 miles from Canton.
Dan, who also has responded (and who is most expert WRT Rushton) also lives in what we would call upstate, unless he's recently relocated to a jungle.
Mike

These are a few pictures that might help me articulate . . .
The ruler is positioned at the inward side of the port planking.
14.5" is at the center line of the hull.
In order to make the hull symmetrical, the planking is built out to 29 inches (pink tape) on the starboard.
The thickening was feathered out over the span of 40ish"
Painting of Mount Massive, Colorado collateral damage from trip to purchase :)

Fred Hubicki is a fascinating gentleman living in Salida, Colorado. He spent many years in Manhattan, NY as a graphic designer. One wall in his studio is done in Caedmon Record Album covers designed by Fred. For the past several decades Fred has painted in Salida.

My wife came home from our trip to purchase the canoe with one of his paintings! We live in Buena Vista, Colorado, where I paddle on several mountain lakes nearby. Up until now, my canoe building has been only the stripper pictured, fresh from a quasi annual varnish. I also have an 18' Carleton waiting for me, now that I have retired from teaching. WCHA found a repair sheet on that one. It was revarnished and sent to "The Fair Department Store" in Chicago in April of 1924. I guess that gives me about 18 months to have it ready for its centennial. (TMI, I know)

Fred Hubicki (born 1939) purchased the IG when he was 12 years old. The seller, a professor at RPI, didn't want to sell it to Fred, but his father convinced the seller that Fred was responsible. The purchase took place in Troy, NY. Fred and his brother Walt have replaced the canvas several times. Strangely enough the ribs don't reflect this as there are not many cinch nails nor holes. When replacing the outwales on the last job, black silicone was used as a sealant between the hull and the outwale. The Hubicki Boys must have introduced "Sculpy" of wood putty to a few rib tops and the sheer line during one canvassing.

The original gunwales remained until now, when I determined it was time to replace them. In keeping true to form, I am milling pocketed inwales. I hope my work will be good enough to merit pictures eventually! Fred had replaced the decks at some point, so the deck and the inhales stayed in place about 6" beyond the decks, where Fred had cut away from the inhales I just removed.

IMG_9881.jpg
IMG_9882.jpg
IMG_9883.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    164 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_9778.jpg
    IMG_9778.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_3708.jpg
    IMG_3708.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 86
Oh boy...that was what I thought you were trying to convey. Thats a new one. The professor might have been on to something.
What are your plans for truing the boat up? Will you remove the layers of foul fairing?
Are you remaking the decks along with the rails? Do you think you have a close enough representation of the original bits to remake these or do you need some help with patterns.
And now a bit of Upstate uppityness......Troy is not what we call Upstate. It's what folks from downstate call upstate...You start to get into the edges of upstate when you are in Saratoga. :D

Grew up in Niagara County, we thought it was "Upstate"...a couple classmates went to Clarkson...now that is really Upstate!

Major thread drift but Niagara County ....Western NY, home of Charlie the Butcher.
Clarkson (I also attended CCT as did at least one other person contributing to this thread) is in Pdam and that is very definitely Upstate or as locals refer to it, North Country. And to complete the North Country geography lesson, most of us consider anything South of Oscars Smoke House to be "downstate".

And drifting back, this canoe, Daves is the 4th Wells canoe I have learned of in (good grief) the last 55 years.

I'll leave the regional geography up to those who live it!

As for the IG, all of the bits are intact, but only the rails need replaced . My intent is to leave the "foul fairing" in place, as I believe it was part of the original construction. The 19ish ribs in that area fall along a straight line which the fairing otherwise corrects. I've created a fictional narrative of the canoe. It goes like this. Something went wrong with laying up the ribs and the canoe became a "second." Wells adopted it to save from a certain fiery end . . .

Feel free to add to the narrative!

Back