Rushton Nessmuk advice needed...

rushton

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
I found this wonderful relic at a yard sale maybe 12 or 15 years ago, and while it is essentially intact, it is fragile enough that I don't ever plan to restore it or put it in the water. The black paint evident on the rails and thwart looks to be original, or nearly so, and there is evidence of black paint on the outside of the hull, too, but it is now almost devoid of any coating whatsoever. I wonder about the seat- is it possible that it is original? I can't imagine this being a two person boat, and one paddler wouldn't sit at the end like that unless they were a mouse. There is some black paint on that, too. The boat was once used as a drag by a trapper in local streams here in southern Rhode Island, and came equipped with a couple of traps and skinning boards. The boat is a bit under 10' 6" long, with a beam of about 28".

On to today's question- I've been asked to display this canoe at a local historical society museum, on temporary loan. I've had the probably blasphemous thought of applying a soak of boiled linseed oil/turpentine mix to the outer hull, to brighten it up a bit and also maybe limber it up. It is dry as dust. This is the same mixture I use on the early nineteenth century wooden clock movements that I restore, and the wood loves it, but since I'm never in favor of well intentioned but ill-advised work on antique anything, I thought I'd ask here for a yay, nay, or maybe. Thanks.

Attachments

• rushtonthwart.jpg
    rushtonthwart.jpg
    562.2 KB · Views: 483
  • rushtonname.jpg
    rushtonname.jpg
    388.7 KB · Views: 454
  • rushtonside.jpg
    rushtonside.jpg
    516.2 KB · Views: 454
  • rushtonnessmuk.jpg
    rushtonnessmuk.jpg
    476 KB · Views: 477
  • rushtonkeel.jpg
    rushtonkeel.jpg
    488.1 KB · Views: 460
  • rushtonseat.jpg
    rushtonseat.jpg
    408.8 KB · Views: 447
It would be great if you could bring it to this year's Annual Assembly, since the theme is Rushton!

“Rushton the Man,” Trent Trulock, Executive Director, St. Lawrence County Historical Association, featuring archival materials from Rushton’s hometown of Canton, N.Y. (Wed 7- 8 PM)
"Poems in Cedar: Rushton Canoes of the Finest Kind", Dick Persson and Dan Miller (Thurs. 7-9:30)
(Dan Miller recently stepped down as Curator of the CABM to resume building as "Dragonfly Canoe Works").
“Rushton in the Adirondacks”, Hallie Bond, Curator Adirondack Museum (Sat. 6:45-7:45)
“Oh the Places You’ll Go; The Story of an 1898 Rushton IGO "Feather" with Scottie Baker and John Jongren (Sat. 7:45-8:45)

Other planned Assembly activities that will provide rich photo & narrative contributions include;
Some of the program activities include;
"Guided Tour of Rushtons on the Green" Thurs 1- 2:30, Fri. 10-11:30
"Paddle a Rushton" Ken Kelly & Benson Gray (Thurs & Fri 2:30-5)
"Guided Tour of Rushton Tent Rod Taylor (Sat 10:30-11:30)
“Build a Rushton Indian Girl” ongoing construction (Scott Barkdoll & Tom Clark)

See the Assembly link at the WCHA Homepage for more info.

It would be great if you could bring it to this year's Annual Assembly, since the theme is Rushton!

“Rushton the Man,” Trent Trulock, Executive Director, St. Lawrence County Historical Association, featuring archival materials from Rushton’s hometown of Canton, N.Y. (Wed 7- 8 PM)
"Poems in Cedar: Rushton Canoes of the Finest Kind", Dick Persson and Dan Miller (Thurs. 7-9:30)
(Dan Miller recently stepped down as Curator of the CABM to resume building as "Dragonfly Canoe Works").
“Rushton in the Adirondacks”, Hallie Bond, Curator Adirondack Museum (Sat. 6:45-7:45)
“Oh the Places You’ll Go; The Story of an 1898 Rushton IGO "Feather" with Scottie Baker and John Jongren (Sat. 7:45-8:45)

Other planned Assembly activities that will provide rich photo & narrative contributions include;
Some of the program activities include;
"Guided Tour of Rushtons on the Green" Thurs 1- 2:30, Fri. 10-11:30
"Paddle a Rushton" Ken Kelly & Benson Gray (Thurs & Fri 2:30-5)
"Guided Tour of Rushton Tent Rod Taylor (Sat 10:30-11:30)
“Build a Rushton Indian Girl” ongoing construction (Scott Barkdoll & Tom Clark)

See the Assembly link at the WCHA Homepage for more info.

I know, I know. I will make very effort to get over. For various reasons, I have yet to make it to an Assembly.

Hi Rushton,

Nice boat. I'd give it a lick with turps & linseed. It does look very thirsty. Bill P.

Hi Rushton,

Nice boat. I'd give it a lick with turps & linseed. It does look very thirsty. Bill P.

Yes, I think I'll try a small section and see how it looks. I don't think it will cause any harm. I'll see about adding some anti-mildew something or other to the mix.

Back