Rushton Decal?

Howie

Wooden Canoe Maniac
Did Rushton ever use a decal on his decks? Or maybe he used a decal on other stuff. If so can someone send me a high resolution 'full frontal' image so I can make my own.

Howie...
JH did not.
After his death in 1906 the Inc. canoes carried on for a while with metal deck tags but at some point water slides were used. Dan could probably tell you when.
Here are examples from Dan's site, Decals and Tags | Wooden Canoe Museum
The ones on my canoes are not good enough to make a decal from. Hopefully someone else has one that is in nice shape for you to use.
Mike

Howie,
DSC_0432.JPG
DSC_0435.JPG

a friend made these to put on my Navahoe. He based them on the decals on Dans site. They are printed on clear self adhesive vinyl.

Sam

I might have one in the workshop. Give me time to drink my coffee and i'll go and look.

That was a quick coffee!

Will this do for you?

n3TAftIDcx0CFJcPO0X0N6vSA9hVbVoZo4PGaSSIu4F4xMv_lkxSOXSP8dEFuUdxpIROaDbkKy2S8JbIPspoMdWKvhi9l8CVMXHRgNeMkjg-E_0Pqz81bR75j9K_6tdNpyGYiydcZZj7qK8tLQq8FVCAkvxpBAu8JwV-umNbE4YBqmMfilN59iqkJw

I'll need an address, but won't be able to post it until late next week.
Sam

You betcha! Please send to: Howie Jehan, 377 Lanning Rd, Honeoye Falls, NY 14472
Please: what do I owe you for this?

I thank you.
Ah! You're from the UK! Congrats on getting a new leader without half the country going stupid. Maybe if we spoke more like you our collective IQ would improve...

The IG is on the right. Still a work in progress. The green canoe on the left against the garage wall is a 15ft 1901 Rushton Indian. The other is a long deck Viazie.
upload_2022-9-6_17-4-29.png

Steaming the new long decks. I chose to bend & install the coping strip (is 'coping' the right term?) first, then trace out the shape needed for the two deck parts. Not sure if installing first and shaping the arc in the deck afterward was the best way to do it, but you make a decision & go with it.
20220911_100329.jpg

Thanks so much! By the way, here's what the decal will go on:
20220914_153517.jpg
O - I'm sure the decal is placed on the center wooden part (of an Ruchton IG long deck), but can anyone tell me how far down from the top?

Well Floyd... I live in upstate NY where there happen to be a lot of wc canoes to be found at very reasonable prices. Or rather, there used to be: a lot of people now seem to think their old wrecks are worth a ton based on what restored canoes go for. The past few years I was lucky enough to be given 4 restorable canoes plus a few others that were restorations for other guys . So... to answer your question, luck?

Sam... Just got the decal in the mail. Thank you so much! I just mudded the canoe a few days ago so I can't turn it over to show you how it looks/fits. That'll have to wait for 6 weeks or so.

So just to confirm, this decal is the self-sticking vinyl type, and not the water transfer type, right?

So just to confirm, this decal is the self-sticking vinyl type, and not the water transfer type, right?

That's correct. I cut it up close to the image before putting it on then varnished over if I remember right. You can double check it's self adhesive with an off cut bit.

Sam

Howie, that IG is looking really good. The decks came together nicely. It's nice to see that you were able to help it get back in shape.
The Morris, well, again, I apologize. I knew the rails were punky but I did not realize it was that bad or that it had been like that before it was glassed. I don't think you will have too much trouble getting some Mahagony. You might try Pittsford Lumber. I've scored some hard-to-find woods there. Worst case you could splice two shorter pieces.

The Rushton decal should be 2 inches tall and about 1.74 in width. I am not 100% certain of the height since the top of my decal was removed when some bozo bored an enormous (not really, but any hole drilled through a deck, large or small, is a criminal act, IMHO) hole that removed the tip of it. I believe 2 is within a few hundredth of correct.

Sam: Again, many thanks for the Rushton decal you sent from across the pond. However I found the decal way too big to fit inside the deck's center board. So I took a picture of it, popped it into Powerpoint, and changed the image size to match the dimensions mentioned by Mike/MGC in his comment above. I also edited the image to change the background color to 'clear' to allow the wood under the decal to show through. Came out well I'd say! Thanks again!
20221028_093121.jpg 20221028_093136.jpg
O - to anyone out there thinking to make their own decals be sure to opt for the more expensive option. I took the 'cheaper' route and found the resulting decal to be very very thin. Thus a lot of wrinkling occurred when the decal was slid off the backing paper. I managed to smooth out well enough, but a thicker material might have avoided this problem.

Hope to start painting tomorrow!

Reactions: MGC
Back