Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Robertson? Kingsbury?

Discussion in 'Wood and Canvas' started by ScottBr, Mar 13, 2019 at 3:18 PM.

1. ScottBr

ScottBr Curious about Wooden Canoes

Acquired this canoe over 20 years ago. Professionally restored and used a few times. Always thought to be a Robertson (serial No. 303 - 16) and made in the very early 1900s. After reading some of the other posts, I'm starting to think it's a Kingsbury. Any thoughts? (i need to figure out how to post photos....)

2. Shari Gnolek

Shari Gnolek Have dog, will paddle

Because I also wondered about this when I first became a member, and find it easier to see how to do something then read about it - I have attached a PDF document that contains a series of screen shots that show exactly how to upload photos. I collected these screen shots as I replied to your message.

Images can be uploaded in full size, or as thumbnails. Full-size images make it more work to scroll through a thread (I learned the hard way!). Thumbnail images expand in a separate window when people click on them so that seems to be the way to go.

As an example, I'm attaching full-size image of my wonderful dog when she was a puppy, and a thumbnail image of me standing on top of St. Regis mountain in winter.
    Fun fact: St. Regis mountain is located close to Paul Smith's College, the site for this year's Annual Assembly, and has a wonderful hike to the fire tower on top!

There is a FAQ about loading images here: http://www.wcha.org/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-post-photos.469/

St Regis.jpg
    Lila_on_the_beach.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019 at 4:45 PM
  3. OP
    OP
    ScottBr

Thanks. I tried that but I get an error message. I wonder if it's related to the requirement to have 3 posts (I just joined) before adding links. So, this is post #2. BTW, cute puppy!

4. Shari Gnolek

Shari Gnolek Have dog, will paddle

It wouldn't be a link, it would be its own file. If you are trying to attach a link to an album of images that might be the problem.

If so, maybe try saving a few images from the album to your computer and then uploading those images directly.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019 at 4:47 PM
  5. OP
    OP
    ScottBr

DSC_0041.jpg DSC_0043.jpg
    DSC_0056.jpg DSC_0059.jpg DSC_0063.jpg DSC_0075.jpg DSC_0078.jpg DSC_0084.jpg

Success. Here are the photos of the Robertson? Kingsbury?

Shari Gnolek likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    ScottBr

FYI, to all those posting pics - it helps to reduce the file size.

7. Benson Gray

Benson Gray Canoe History Enthusiast Staff Member

The end of the stem, deck shape, and font used to stamp the digits all match a Kingsbury better than a Robertson from my limited experience. The image below shows the Kingsbury with serial number 366. Others may be able to offer a more informed opinion. Nice canoe,

Benson

Kingsbury-366.jpg

8. OP
    OP
    ScottBr

Thanks Benson. Any idea how old the one in your photo is?

Scott

9. Benson Gray

Benson Gray Canoe History Enthusiast Staff Member

There are no known serial number records for Kingsbury (or Robertson) so dates and ages aren't available. Sorry,

Benson

10. MGC

MGC Paddlephile

To my eye that appears to be a Kingsbury... I looked at one that was very similar several years ago...one with known provenance.
    That is a really nice boat and definitely a "keeper".