Rick Nash Birchbark canoe website

Rob Stevens

Wooden Canoes are in the Blood
Rick Nash has finally created a website of his decades of research and work on birchbark canoes and other traditional native gear (containers, snowshoes, toboggans, etc.). Rick was the curator of the Kanawa Canoe Museum, which became the Canadian Canoe Museum.

www.rmnashbirchbarkcanoes.ca

Rick is a hell of a builder and a pioneer in maintaining alive the art of birchbark canoes. Tappan Adney would be proud of him and I admire him! Great site , great canoes and wonderful models which have become museum pieces!!!

Rick is a hell of a builder and a pioneer in maintaining alive the art of birchbark canoes. Tappan Adney would be proud of him and I admire him! Great site , great canoes and wonderful models which have become museum pieces!!!

"It just doesn't get any better!" Awesome!

I got a chance to meet up with Rick this past weekend as he lives just a half hour drive south from my cottage. He was a very gracious host to all my newbie questions. Seeing some of his work first hand was amazing.

He was currently working on a scale model of a Royal Canoe, "The Quebec" using his notes and photos he took of the original back in in the 70's. Couple of B&W pics of it on Henri V's page (near the bottom) on Fur Trade Canoes. Rick's model was stunning in its workmanship and attention to detail. The root lashings at that scale were superhuman in perfection. He even made fully functional 1/5th scale crooked knives that were mind-boggling. Lot's of great treats in his workshop that aren't on the website just yet.

Algonquin gems

Had a meeting today for work at the centre at km43, after seeing two nice bull moose lo and behold a RN bark hanging from the ceiling, plus Omer's chum - photos for Steve Lapey, proud chum owner, and yes this one was just as lumpy;) Kind of a shame to see the birchbark gathering dust instead of being used, its a stunner.

Attachments

• IMG_0869.jpg
    IMG_0869.jpg
    490.5 KB · Views: 571
  • IMG_0868.jpg
    IMG_0868.jpg
    494.3 KB · Views: 568
  • IMG_0860.jpg
    IMG_0860.jpg
    491.6 KB · Views: 582
  • IMG_0862.jpg
    IMG_0862.jpg
    498.7 KB · Views: 582
  • IMG_0863.jpg
    IMG_0863.jpg
    491.3 KB · Views: 556
  • IMG_0866.jpg
    IMG_0866.jpg
    491.9 KB · Views: 578
Thanks for the update, Andre. We all wish we could have work meetings in APP!

Our Chum isn't quite so lumpy now.

Attachments

• Chum Launched 09-28.JPG
    Chum Launched 09-28.JPG
    263.9 KB · Views: 571
Back