Richardson canoe

Natty

Hello,
We are curious about any available information for a Richardson AquaCraft Voyageur 66, Model CN, serial number 3364. Thank you.
Natty

Natty,
While I can't help you directly with your canoe, I have a Richardson Tripper 64, s/n 1438 in longterm restoration. This was purchased by my inlaws new in 1965 but I'm not sure if that helps with your number search.
The Canadian Canoe Museum has a few Richardsons in their collection including a Richardson Cree 1965, s/n 2917. Perhaps they have more information on the firm.

Can we assume that the "64" and "66" after the model name indicates year of manufacture? The serial numbers seem to follow that order.

Is yours lap planked? That complicates restoration with varnish basically gluing all the planks together. Ask me how I know...

Good luck with your research.
Bruce
IMG_2848crop.jpg

Bruce, how is your restoration going? I have a similar model "Lightweight" s/n 1811. If you have progress photos can you post some?

Kevin,

I haven't done much beyond dissassemble and cleaning. One of the challenges I have is that the Richardson is in Ontario at my parents on Lake Simcoe while I live in Edmonton, Alberta! The amount of time I get to work on the canoe have been restricted to date by this "long distance realationship"!

The first picture gives you an idea of the canoes condition as I started to disassemble- both stems are rotten and outwales completely gone but the cedar decks are retrievable. All the ribs are in very good shape- though a number need rib top repair- and it is only the top 25cm or so of planking that needs replacement. The varnish stripped with a few litres of stripper and much elbow grease but i am very pleased with the bright colour underneath- see the last two pictures. I have left thwart and seats in for structural stability after I removed the decks.

One of the particular challenges with Richardson Canoes is that they are lap straked and the interior varnish has acted like glue over the past 50 plus years. It is very difficult to remove rotten planking without damaging the strakes on the abutting planks.
Anyone have secrets how to accomplish that?

I am in process of relocating back to Ontario so will be able to spend more time pulling this together again.

IMG_0850resized.jpg
IMG_0910resized.jpg
IMG_0912resized.jpg

Hi Pook

I have a Richardson Tripper 15' canoe I bought new from North York Mower and Marine in Toronto when I was 13.
It is in pretty good shape so I am not contemplating rebuilding it (just yet).

But I am confused by your statement (as follows):.

"One of the particular challenges with Richardson Canoes is that they are lap straked and the interior varnish has acted like glue over the past 50 plus years."
See: www. nomadboatbuilding .com /project /lapstrake-canoes/ (I'm new here so I can't post links, hope you can figure that address out

I have looked up "lap straked" ("clinker"?) construction and the definition does not seem to match what I see.
My strakes (and indeed, yours from you pictures too) do NOT seem to overlap but rather appear to butt up to one another. So I am confused

Can you explain?

B

Back in my collecting days, I bought/had a Lakefield/Richardson 15' Cree 63, the description in the 1966 catalog is:

The 15-footers, the Cree {standard} & the Kiowa {lighweight},
build chararctaristics mentioned in Rilco's 1966 pleasure model descriptions.
Planking - of West Coast Cedar in narrow planks with a half-check machined into each edge to form an overlap.
Seats - are rawhide laced & are solidly bolted to inwales.
Gunwales - are full length with no splices to economize.
Keel - is bolted on, not screw fastened.

The 16-foot models - the Tecumseh {standard} & Iroquis {lightweight},
had hardwood outside snouts {stems} to protect the canoe from head-on collisions with docks or shoreline.

I never worke dmine so can't help with a description of the overlap.

Dan

I have never pulled my Richardson/Aquacraft apart and given that it's in very original condition, I won't. I do have a period catalog as well as the bill of sale etc. from its original purchase. Possibly these might help you to figure out when yours was built.
I'll see if I can get that and post it here sometime tomorrow for you.
Mike

My Richardson Tripper 15’ was purchased from North York Mower and Marine Limited February 3rd 1966 for $174.00 (plus 5.22 tax!) and the in invoice says serial number 3383.

Hi I recently restored a Lakefield Tecumseh cedar canvas canoe built in 1966 by then Richardson or RICO canoe company. Among other things it required the replacement of some of the planking. My solution was to, after removing the canvas with the hull turned over, using a thin sharp blade like an exacto knife I ran this between the edges of the planking which then allowed me to remove the broken piece. After which, using the same blade, I trimmed the remaining joinery on the planking adjacent to the area where the new piece will go. This allows you to, with careful measuring, put a new piece in but now just butted up to the edges of the old planking. I've attached a picture showing a replacement piece installed. After colouring it to match you'd never know it was any different. Hope this helps?
Gary

Attachments

• DSCN2923.JPG
    DSCN2923.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 95
  • DSCN2933.JPG
    DSCN2933.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 94
My canoe is a 1965 Richardson Aquacraft 16 foot Manitou 66. The SN is 3029 if that is of any use. It was a pricey canoe. $325 (with two paddles) in 1965, $25 dollars more than a Grumman.
I do have the 1965 catalog.
When it describes the canvas covered models (Tripper, Lightweight, Voyageur, Camper) it refers to "Narrow cedar planking with machined half check on edges to form tight overlap joints to prevent sand from working under the canvas to prevent wear."
Where it describes the cedar strip models (Manitou, Regatta) no mention is made of the way the strips are joined.
Since my canoe is a 66, and sold in 65, I'm not sure that the 66 refers to the build year.

Lapped construction is mentioned for boats.

My Richardson Tripper 15’ was purchased from North York Mower and Marine Limited February 3rd 1966 for $174.00 (plus 5.22 tax!) and the in invoice says serial number 3383.

This is interesting. Can you attach a scan of this invoice so I can add it to the archive? Thanks,

Benson

B!
My apologies for the delay in replying. That Richardson thread was from over 2 years ago so wasn't really expecting any activity and instead spent the weekend paddling in part...

"Narrow cedar planking with machined half check on edges to form tight overlap joints..."
My further apologies for the incorrect terminology- the planks were not lap-straked, but rather half checked as both Dan and MGC have pointed out above.
When I started repairs I was surprised to notice this- and disappointed- as the varnish had acted like a pretty good glue to all those half checks. I did take careful measurements of a couple of pieces of intact planking- see below.
Planking details.jpg

My attempts to recreate the half check were time consuming and painful with only handtools but it was doable. Separating the glued planks to preserve the checks has been less successful and I may ultimately end up just butting the new planking up to the formerly half checked planks...l
IMG_1013.JPG

Having now relocated to Ontario, this project may actually see some work done on it this winter.
If you don't need to repair your Richardson, just enjoy it!
Bruce

Back