rib size

bill w

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
Hi I am in the process of building a 4 board canoe and have the ribs milled out 1/2 round 1/4" by 5/8" red elm on 6" centers the planking will be 1/4 basswood.Now I am wondering if I should have made them larger.My qustion is are my rib size going to be big enough strong enough to keep the hull shape fare over the long term, or will i run into problems by not having the ribs heavier? Or should I mill some new stock at a heavier demension?What was the normall size rib used on a wide board?Thanks Bill

Hi Bill,

I have a wide board with rectangular ribs 5/16 by 5/8,; also have a few wide boards with half round ribs and they go a bit thicker 7/16 to 1/2 as to provide that same area of material you would need to make the half round thicker.

If possible you could put the ribs closer together instead of the usual 5 or 6 inches.

You might want to mill new rib stock.

Good luck,

Paul

Paul Thanks for the response. As I already have the keelson notched at 6" centers I may go and add more notches at 3" centers to add the extra ribs to get enough strength. Then I will probably rabbet the planks and use a flush full length batten instead of the single razed batten between each rib. thanks again Bill

Back