Restoration: Leaving stuff alone

bredlo

LOVES Wooden Canoes
In my first question, I alluded to the fact that I plan to leave the interior of my '22 OTCA alone. I look at the 84 years of darkened, rich character that has been occured, and see it as a badge of honor that shouldn't be undone.

I guess I'm wondering if most of you restorers feel differently. It seems from most of the pictures on sites dedicated to restoring these boats tend to show the interiors scrubbed and stripped back down to bare wood, with fresh coats of varnish.

I'd love to know any arguments against leaving the interior alone, or if it's all a matter of taste and aesthetics once you've acheived waterproofness.

Happy paddling,
Brad

HI Brad,

I wonder if the varnish is poly. I suggest getting the inside stripped professionally. If you have somone near you that does that type of thing. Otherwise strip it yourself. Function is more important to me than idea of an original finish which yours is probably not. My guess is that 80 year old varnish would not be there if the canoe 'needed' to be glassed. Everything grows together according to Mr Rogers. And everything wears out together. With ribs to replace there will be a diference between new and old anyway. For stripping the 'glass I have sunk the canoe in the pond for a few days, maybe a week. A propane torch helps to losen the gunk Apply the heat if you need to and you will more than likely see the area change color and lift away from the wood. Canoe flu is usually terminal. You've been infected.

Back