Repairs to Peterborough Rib canoe

samb

LOVES Wooden Canoes
On my rib canoe there are three previous repairs, all patched on the inside, two with aluminium and one with copper. The smaller aluminium patch will be replaced with a copper one as I’ll need to remove it anyway because of the wormy stringer that it's nailed to. I haven’t stripped the outside of that one or the copper one yet, so don’t know what is lurking underneath.

This is the big one,

xvwHmjEmS9duz9_R9b_ph3QuT2YZXOLQWwxdR7HjE7pCCIegkaP4aGFVQ8e5qq_b_XtbcFzsjSD9EXm_02r_y5JjF1zfmLceN4kqgwLSMgAPPaIwY5EDIwKfx18x1IiGAaT1KRb9O9-Eeu2n4Q

And on the outside after stripping, I find this is the damage it covers.

jEidTQlPTMvc3gZ21UdyvgvP3oh3CV4Jk7d8-fVFmHJV_pWS846Vofti4jt7uyrd9ZCLjeHHW5YVsADP_tryuaDgj9nPBOSV2SqSRXkdJHk8CFXNFJxo8HRo6gPRLkA5L1Vf9kzvr5s93XKB6m8

When I remove the patch, I imagine there will be a hole right through the rib.

The patch is certainly over large and unsightly so I’ll have no problem improving things on the inside, but what about outside?

I have my ideas for how to repair/ improve it but I’d be interested in what others might do. Has anyone done anything similar before?

Thanks

Sam

I most likely would use wood patches with epoxy. The sides of any hole can be cut on an angle to give as much of a gluing surface as possible. Cut the angles so that the water tries to push the patch into the canoe. If the patch crosses a joint, an awl can be used to simulate the joint.

Thanks Gil, that's exactly what my current thoughts are.

Any one else?

Sam

Looks good. Some stain on the new wood should make it blend in . A brown permanent marker over the white filled holes will help those blend in ,also.

Thanks - I'm well practiced with UV resistant art markers: they are alcohol based so they can be put on in between layers of varnish, and if you go too dark, just wipe off with meths on a cloth. There is an amazing colour range available.

Sam

Just looked through all my photos of this boat and can't see any of that repair - possibly because it's so good you can't see the repair, or maybe I never took any pics. Next time that boat comes out - probably in the next couple of weeks - I'll try to remember to get a photo.

Sam

Back