Registration

David Satter

Wooden Canoe Maniac
Ok, I've fixed up an old Guide boat with a square stern , or even say a canoe with a square stern. How can we register it in NY for a small motor. A customer of mine wants it but theirs no title or registration, it's probably 30 plus years old. How do you guys register these old canoes for motors with no paperwork. Any help would be great. thanks, Dave

In Wisconsin when registering a boat, a bill of sale is requested so sales tax can be assessed and collected.
I have registered a couple of small wooden boats that have either been out of registration for many years or never registered. I've told the registration people that there was no previous registration, make of boat is unknown, and it came from a yard sale for $50 bucks.

Bit of a hassle in New York. It looks like one would need an MSO and bill(s) of sale leading to the current owner. Take a look at the DMV page, I didn't see too many alternatives. Worst case, I would see if there is a local boat dealer for advice, and of course I would give the folks at DMV for advice. Best of luck...

Definitely call whatever state agency is responsible for that registration. In Illinois, it's the DNR; sounds like it's DMV in NY. It might be better to contact them via email, as you'll get a response (we hope!) in writing, and you can send a copy along with whatever papers you need to send it, to show that you've followed their instructions.

Illinois was pretty horrible for this, until a couple years ago. I had bought a 1918 Old Town from an estate sale, and ended up needing copies of the death certificate, and the assigned heir's power of attorney form... it was beyond ridiculous!

Good luck with your process!

Back