Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

re-canvas question

Discussion in 'Wood and Canvas' started by patrick corry, Aug 25, 2021.

1. OP
    OP
    patrick corry

patrick corry Curious about Wooden Canoes

Pretty much done now!

John, I was content with 2 SS T50 staples at each rib, though on the stems after stapling (and avoiding the stem band screw locations) both sides of the overlap, I did add a few brass tacks to help hold the tightly stretched stem overlaps. With regard to the screw locations- and avoiding them- I have to give credit to Howie, whose advice to pay attention to that was invaluable. I just applied my brass stem bands today, and I didn't hit one overlap staple with the stem band screws. And, just a note here, I used a Vix bit which for those of you who don't know, is a self-centering pilot drill which is typically used for drilling pilot holes in door hinge butts. It perfectly centers the drill bit every time because the spring-loaded bit housing rests within the countersink recess of the stem band (or the door hinge). https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/sho...-bits/71438-vix-bit-self-centering-drill-bits

My thanks to all of you who have read and commented, and assisted this neophyte with the process. I was fortunate that it turned out so well.... and was loads of fun!

The color is Kirby's Grayling Gray, semi-gloss.

tempImagejdfBgN.png tempImageSEBQC4.png tempImage4JfgF6.png tempImageu5S4kR.png tempImagewO7Qa9.png

Dave Wermuth likes this.
  2. John Janicek

John Janicek Curious about Wooden Canoes

Nicely done! She looks beautiful!
    And thanks for your reply. Your forum thread was very timely and I very much appreciated your efforts in photo documenting the process.
    Good luck and I hope you have many happy paddling days ahead.