Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Please help ID this Chestnut barn find

Discussion in 'Research and History' started by Mike Br, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Mike Br

Mike Br New Member

Hull length is 15'-0"
    Width is 35" canvas to canvas
    Depth is 13 3/4" rib to top of inwale @ thwart
    Regular ribs 2 3/8" tapered to 1 1/2" and 1/4" thick spaced 1 1/2" apart
    Ribs are chamfered on both sides, one side has a greater angle than the other
    46 regular ribs plus 2 larger cant ribs
    Had a keel, holes are straight line not staggered
    3" planking
    18 planks wide @ midships
    Heart shaped decks
    Seats & thwart bolted directly to the inwales, no dowels

I'd appreciate any information on this canoe. It seems to be a BOBS but I have absolutely no canoe knowledge. I'm a wooden sailboat enthusiast and builder. I bought this canoe because it's lines are so beautiful and didn't want her rotting away.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Attached Files:

2. Pook

Pook Chestnut Canoe fan

Well Mike, good save.

That does look and sound like a Bobs Special to me- especially the rib thickness and spacing.
    It is narrower and deeper than my Bobs, but going by decal and deck this one is much older so probably built on older mold.

I don't have specs that line up directly with this but the seats look like replacements so perhaps in the repair/refit they pulled the waist in.

Hopefully Andre or one of the more knowledgeable Chestnut folk will chime in.
    Bruce

3. OP
    OP
    Mike Br

Mike Br New Member

Thanks for the info Bruce.

This morning I shot lots of close-up pics of the decal as I found a great thread by Roger Young and co. on dating by decal. I'm going to clean them up digitally to see if they bring out any interesting information.

Thanks again for your time Bruce,

Mike

4. OP
    OP
    Mike Br

Mike Br New Member