Planking To The Stems

slk

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
Just wanted to get a quick opinion on nailing up the loose planking to the stems after taking the canoe off the mold. Is it easier to finish that planking with the canoe turned right side up or to flip it back over and have the bottom up. I feel like I am standing on my head trying to work with it right side up. I know the rib ends would present a problem flipping it back over but you could put some padding under them. Just wanted your opinions on this.
Thanks
Steve

I trim the ribs ends first after taking it off the form. Then fasten ends; and position can change as needed.

Positioning the canoe right side up allows you to put a full length string stem to stem to ensure that they are in line with the centre of the boat.
Yes, you have to bend over to nail the planks to the stem. Maybe less so if you elevate the hull.

I have already pulled the string and have both decks/gunwals lined up as perfect as can be. I guess I have been so use to working on this beast upside down it feels strange working on it right side up to nail the planking. It just feels like I will not have as much control.
Steve

On another note all I have is 3/4" bronze ring nails. Are they too long? Can I cut 1/8" off of them and use them. I figure if I am drilling pilot holes they don't need the point on the end, or do they. I can order some if it is imperative I have 5/8" ones. This is for nailing the planking to the stems.....
Steve

Cut them and then point them using your belt sander or something similar...I use my skate sharpener. Hang on, it can get exciting and wear safety glasses.

A cheap laser line level is an easy way to square up the stems...sit it on the floor of the boat and shine it to the center of your stem...center the tip and tack in place before turning it around to do the other end.

Well the job went very well and I left the canoe upright. I was able to complete the task with no problems at all, and it went relatively fast. On to the next steps.

Thanks guys
Steve

Back