Peterborough

Splinter

Wood Girl #1186
I have recently acquired the craft of my dreams, (only 22 years waiting to get me one of these) Peterborough canoe from 1942. Upon aquiring it, it was apparent the exterior hull varnish was loose in spots and indeed even bubbled up in places, here and there. During the 2 day drive back home with it on top of my car, much of the varnish had blown off in the wind! Very little work in stripping needed as apparently there was superficial, if any, adhesion between varnish and planks. Common sense tells me this single topcoat was not compatible with what ever treatment was put on the wood. Anyone have any idea what might have been applied to the hull prior to this topcoat? If so, what would you recommend removing it with? Having spent some time years ago with car paints, I am immediately thinking of the product known as "Pre-Kleeno", but I wonder if they even make that anymore. Insights anyone?

Splinter,
You might try some shellac after washing it down with TSP [a mild solution -wear gloves] Orange shellac will change the color but white won't [at least not much] Both shellacs are good sealers and if they don't take, are easily removed using denatured alcohol -again wear gloves because it is absorbed through the skin and at least on me makes my elbow and wrist joints hurt. If it does work you can varnish over it. Good luck, Denis

What is TSP?

Is that Trisodium Phosphate? That's the only TSP I can think of. Where do I get it?

Splinter'
Yes, TSP is Trisodium phosphate. You should be able to get it at any Menards or Ace or Home Depot. TSP is a strong detergent so if there is an oil type residue it will cut it. The one thing I would also suggest is that you try it on a small area first to make sure it does not react with the wood and change its color. After washing the area with the TSP then try the shellac to make sure it is adhering. Denis

Great!

Thanks! I was going over to Home Depot today anyway. I will try it! I appreciate your help. Splinter a.k.a. canoe wreck magnet

Hey!!!

Wheres the pictures ,you know better than to post without them :D .Should be mandatory
Have a happy GRoundhog Day there M
Dan'l

Just got a

Digital Camera for Christmas. Haven't really had time to figure out the next step: Getting photos on computer. One thing at a time. I LOVE OLD technology.....
M

Regarding shellac - be sure you get the de-waxed flavor. The typical BIN/Zinsser prepackaged shellac (orange and white) contains wax. A topcoat will not adhere to this. Their "sealcoat" is a white shellac and does not contain wax which makes it compatable with top coating.

Best bet - buy dewaxed flakes & alcohol and mix your own.

Just Because

I'm a docent at the art museum, doesn't mean I can draw a stick man with a bag in his head. Let's not get carried away. If I don't have drafting paper and a scale, I probably can't draw it. Sorry.

Back