Peterborough Sailing Canoe?

Gary

Canoe Grampa
Hi, this is a canoe up for adoption which I'm hoping to get to restore? It looks like a Peterborough and a sailing canoe from what looks like a mast hole. Any help in confirming this would be appreciated. I've not gone to see it yet and these are the only two pictures I have.
Thanks, Gary

Attachments

• #1.jpg
    #1.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 331
  • #2.jpg
    #2.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 298
Hi Gary,

Looks like a Peterborough Dart, and in very nice condition. The Dart is the cedar-canvas version; the Comet/Ace is the all-wood version. The swiveling seat and the configuration of the decks are characteristic of the Dart (and Comet/Ace). These are uncommon canoes and this looks like a very straightforward restoration likely without any major hurdles. Usually this model had a bulkhead under the bow deck, with a square, lockable door for keeping your canoeing goodies away from prying eyes. It it had one and it's missing, it would be easy to replicate.

If you're looking for an unusual canoe, go get it. If you want a nice paddler, note what Doug Ingram said in the thread linked below: "It is quick, not very stable, and doesn't like to turn. Its great in quiet water. Easy paddling when solo, but if going tandem take only good paddlers." This is from a thread on one I found 12 years ago:

http://www.wcha.org/forums/index.php?threads/peterborough-dart.4071/

There was some good sicsussion in that thread, and there you can see how the mast step was treated on that one, along with the bolkhead and locker opening (the door was missing on that one).

Attached is a page from the 1927 Peterborough catalog showing this model.

Michael
Pete 1921 pg 14.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you very much Michael, all very helpful. The decision is not entirely in my hands, if I'm chosen I'll definitely be going to get it. I don't like to see a piece of our Canadian heritage get cut up into book shelves! I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again, Gary

Back