Peterborough Minetta Model # 1815, S # G4628

davelanthier

Wooden Canoes are in the Blood
I have it from a good source that this canoe was originally used by the park wardens of Prince Albert National Park in Saskatchewan. The story has it that to prevert asdverse publicity it was not unasual for a park warden to assist the famous yet very inebriated "Grey Owl" [Archie Belaney] back to his " Beaver Lodge" cabin. What I would like to do is try too prove or disprove that this canoe was used by these park wardens and that Archie Belaney might have spent time in it. Firstly, what years was the 15' Peterborough Minetta produced? Second, does any one have pictures or any history of Prince Albert wardens and their canoes?Thirdly, what other information might help solve this puzzle? Thanks.

The Minetta and the model number 1815 appear to have been introduced in 1951 - they are shown in the 1951 catalog, but not the 1950 catalog. It was offered through at least the 1962 catalog.

I do believe that Grey Owl popped his clogs in 1938.So that should put that story to bed.Unless of course that your canoe is a different earlier model:D

Dan B.-Absolutely true, he died in 1938 at age 50 of pneaumonia attributed too as a result of his flamboyant, binge drinking life style. Some canoe manufactures would drop a model then bring it back at a later date. Was this the case with the Peterborough Minetta? I strongly suspect that the one I have is circa 1950 but it doesn't hurt to ask. Even if I could just prove it was a Albert Park wardens' canoe from a later date that would be a bonus.

Unfortunately, I still have a lot of gaps to fill in the run of Peterborough catalogs including 1944-1949. However, we can probably safely say the canoe was built after 1938. Peterborough used the 2 digit model numbers at least until then, switching over to the four digit model numbers sometime between 1939 and 1941.

Given that the 1950 catalog is pretty detailed and complete for the other model lines, I would guess that the Minetta was not simply left out of it. We can of course revise this as new information comes to light.

Cheers,
Dan

Below attached picture is one of many of Archie Belaney in Prince Albert National Park. That canoe looks more like a Chestnut "Bob's" than a Peterborough Minetta. What do you guys think?

Cheers
Dick Persson

Attachments

• Grey-Owl-17.jpg
    Grey-Owl-17.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 569
Great picture. Would this possibly be the canoe that the park wardens towed behind because Archie was in no condition to paddle?

Back