peterborough floor boards?

jchu

LOVES Wooden Canoes
Does anybody know what type of wood peterborough used for floor boards, or have a picture to post? My rib canoe had evidence of them from the little brass clips.

I have one piece of wood left to put on! :)

Thanks
Jeff

Hi Jeff--

I looked at some of the Peterborough catalogs on the Catalog Collection CD, and could find no pictures or description of wood type... found only that the floor rack was an accessory costing $3 in 1927 and 20 cents more in the 30s. Is there a particular year I could look up for you?

Kathy

Hi Jeff,

Normally floorboard for a cedar-rib canoe was made from basswood and painted. It had four pieces, filling the spaces between the longitudinal stringers. See picture below.
The floorboards are about 3/8 + thick and their backside are grooved. See sketch below.

Cheers
Dick

Attachments

• New-Image.jpg
    New-Image.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 614
  • Backside-of-the-floor-board.jpg
    Backside-of-the-floor-board.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 582
I did an early 16' Lakefield that had the original boards. They were 2 boards of basswood stained walnut. I wonder if your Peterborough had the same configuration.

Attachments

• lakefield 6  finished.jpg
    lakefield 6 finished.jpg
    323.1 KB · Views: 565
Thanks everyone, basswood it is then. Might be missing a few brass clips . > They appear to be crudely made from 3/8 oval.
Not sure if I'll paint them, maybe, the factory rails where painted green at one time but no way of knowing if it was original Dick.

Kathryn mine has the serial number stamped on the coaming so I've been told that means before 1920. # 4 8809

Dan I still have the original email from contacting you about this project in aug 2004. I appreciate your help and advice and leads on who might have more information.

Dave staining them walnut makes sense, I used walnut for the trim.

It is ready to start sanding.

Attachments

• side1.JPG
    side1.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 528
Last edited:
There are two pre-1920 catalogs on the CD collection I have, and I'll attach images... first, from the 1909 and then from the 1914... also included accessories page for each of these years because there's often interesting stuff there. I KNOW my grandma had a little folding table like that one in the 1909 catalog!

Does this appear to be your canoe?

Attachments

• 09 Pete rib canoe.gif
    09 Pete rib canoe.gif
    296.6 KB · Views: 603
  • 09 Pete access.gif
    09 Pete access.gif
    171.2 KB · Views: 557
  • 14 Pete cedar rib canoe.gif
    14 Pete cedar rib canoe.gif
    113.4 KB · Views: 619
  • 14 Pete access.gif
    14 Pete access.gif
    143.8 KB · Views: 564
Thanks Kathy,
Yes that is the canoe, I actually have to build a seat for the front, so the catalog pictures help for a design.

Jeff

Last edited:
Back