Peterborough Champlain Help

Gary

Canoe Grampa
Hi, I've begun restoration on a Peterborough Champlain, high end model. It came without a keel and outwales. First can someone provide me with the dimensions and profile of the outwale please? I've attached a drawing from the only other thread that I could find which spoke of outwales for a Peterborough but different model, perhaps they're the same?
Secondly, from the side to side staggering of the screw holes for the keel it looks like it may have had a shoe keel? Is this typical for this model? From the serial number its estimated to be early 30's era.
Thanks for any help you can offer, Gary

Attachments

• Peterborough-outwale.jpg
    Peterborough-outwale.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 156
Hi folks, I heard back from Dick at Buckhorn Canoe and this is the correct profile and yes these were shipped with a shoe keel.
All the best, Gary

A good number of them also did not have the rounded profile, a flat rail would be a period correct solution if you dont have access to a shaper to mill them.

Thanks Andre, I still work part time here locally at The WoodSource and was able to make both the outwales and inwales on their shaper. I used ash as I can get it in long lengths and it bends well. The inwales are unique in that they have a tapered outer edge against the ribs which makes them 7/8's wide at the bottom tapering to 5/8's wide at the top. This allows the inside edge of the inwale to stay at 90 degrees vertical as the tumblehome of the canoe curves in, if that makes sense?
Gary

Back