Peterborough Canoe

jvanleir

Pirate
I have recently taken up a restoration project. It is a 16'3" Peterborough Canoe. I learned from Stemlock&Thurlow that Peterborough went out of buisness around 1962, making my canoe at least 43 years old. It looks to me like it was repaired at one point. I found some splice jobs along the rotting keel and a black and red paint job under the 3 layers of canvas. I am having some trouble though. In Stemlock&Thurlow's book, they stretch the canvas by making an envelope with boat wenches and stuff-stuff that I don't have. I was thinking about trying to tack one side and stretch it over the other. Will this work or am I going to have to buy all these wenches and things? Any other advice is welcome. I am also looking for an approximate value if anyone knows.

Hi Pirate.

Stretching clamps are easy to make. Even I made a pair. YOu can, and people do stretch canvas all by hand. I recently did a twelve foot rowboat that way worked well. Stretching is easiest. Actually canvassing is the most feared and least difficult thing of all. A little background in furniture upholstering helps, but isn't needed. If you do it sans clamps try to thinkn it thru first.
Staple at the stem on one end to hold it.
Staple the other end after strecthing lengthwise.
go amidships and staple a rib.
go to the other side and ditto.
Work your way toward the ends tugging and stretching as you go.
Pull staples and re-staple as needed.
It all works out.
Regards.

jvanleir said:
It looks to me like it was repaired at one point. I found some splice jobs along the rotting keel and a black and red paint job under the 3 layers of canvas.

Could this have been a peterboro striper? why would it have a paint job under three layers of canvas? Were the canvas layers an attempt to stop a leaking strip built canoe?

mark wismer said:
Could this have been a peterboro striper? why would it have a paint job under three layers of canvas? Were the canvas layers an attempt to stop a leaking strip built canoe?

Depends on the age and type of canoe. It could originally have been an all wood canoe, rather than a wood-canvas. All wood canoes were either varnished or painted when newly built. Of course, they could have been re-painted (and/or recanvassed) in subsequent years.

I don't think it was an all wood canoe-the planking looks thin. I would think an all wood canoe had thicker planking. There are also visible spaces between some of the planks. Do you have any info on a peterboro striper? I have never heard of such a thing. I also found that the tacks used for planking are made of copper, so that means the canoe was built before or after WW2, when they used other metals than brass or copper.

Peterborough canoe I.D.

It is my understanding that wood/canvas canoes were sold under/with the Peterborough name well into the 1970's. If it is a " true " Peterborough or Chestnut/Peterborough canoe there should be a model-serial # stamped into the rear stem . Copper tacks suggest it might be a later Quebec built Peterborough . If you do a " thread starter " search under my name there is a lot of information thanks to Dick Perrson . The thread starter title is " What can it be ? " If you find a serial # have a look at Dan Millers' site . I just aquired a 1972 Peterborough canoe and boat brochure on Ebay . Hope this info. helps .

Copper tacks suggest it might be a later Quebec built Peterborough.

Hi Dave, is this mentioned in your catalog or do you have other evidence of this?

Copper tacks were widely used by many manufacturers prior to circa 1920, including both Chestnut and Old Town.

Cheers,
Dan

jvanleir said:
I don't think it was an all wood canoe-the planking looks thin. I would think an all wood canoe had thicker planking. There are also visible spaces between some of the planks.

I only have experience seeing Peterborough boats and the planking is just a thin as a w/C canoe and the ribs, possibly more of 'em, were thinner & these were 14 -16 foot run abouts that guides were using on the lakes Years after production stopped...

Hi Dan . In my limited experience with Canadian canoes it seems the Quebec built canoes usually have copper tacks . For example this has been the case with every "Huron" canoe I have done . It was only a suggestion as I realize that copper tacks have been used by manufactures throughout north america . Since Jvanleir doesn't mention a serial # I wonder if it isn't a post 1963 sold as a Peterborough by Les Bateaux and Canots Aluminium Inc. of Quebec .

jvanleir said:
I have recently taken up a restoration project. It is a 16'3" Peterborough Canoe. I learned from Stemlock&Thurlow that Peterborough went out of buisness around 1962, making my canoe at least 43 years old. It looks to me like it was repaired at one point. I found some splice jobs along the rotting keel and a black and red paint job under the 3 layers of canvas. I am having some trouble though. In Stemlock&Thurlow's book, they stretch the canvas by making an envelope with boat wenches and stuff-stuff that I don't have. I was thinking about trying to tack one side and stretch it over the other. Will this work or am I going to have to buy all these wenches and things? Any other advice is welcome. I am also looking for an approximate value if anyone knows.
J, I have found that actually making the clamps, steam box, and other "tools" is a very satisfying part of restoring your canoe. Check out flea markets, garage sales, etc., sometimes you can find that odd clamp or whatever. I picked up a nice pair of (quality) scissors for trimming canvas for a buck! Keep an eye out for old paint brushes for when you strip the old varnish. Good luck! Ken.

Back